1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you "switch off" after a gig or rehearsal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by davidjackson, Aug 9, 2012.

1. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    No, I'm not talking about the correct way to power off your top of the range Mesa-Boogie.

I play in a covers band but also work full time and have a 2 year old son which means I have to get up early seven days a week. This means that after I am done gigging or rehearsing of an evening I need to be in bed and ideally asleep as soon as possibe after I get home.

The problem I have is that after all the excitement and adrenalin of a good gig, or even just a great rehearsal, I am so pumped that I just lie in bed wide awake for hours and then spend the next day groggy and tired.

Do any of you guys have the same problem? Have you developed any coping strategies or effective ways to wind down and switch off after the excitement of an evening spent playing great music to a great crowd?

Edit: Should have said too that I am tee-total so any suggestions including alcohol are no help to me!

2. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

Jan 10, 2010
    Ohio
    melatonin... vitamin that promotes sleep... no after groginess

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's not unusual to be charged up after a gig and not be able to sleep. Takes me a good 3-4 hours to come down after a gig.

4. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Yes, I have the same, as I'm sure alot of others experience as well. And, not directly connected though, Melatonin works, and with no side effects for me at least. Or just hit the showers, watch an episode of some TV show and then hit the haysack, works for me.

5. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    I have a DVD of a film entitled Baraka. Toss that in after I take a shower, and I'm in dreamland in less than 20 minutes.

6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Got an understanding & supportive spouse/significant other?

I find I can fall asleep almost instantly after an orgasm.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You need someone else for that???

:bassist:

8. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    Hey - maybe you have just hit on the real reason behind all those touring rock stars having a thing with groupies over the years. They were just trying to get some sleep after a gig!

I don't know about yours, but my Mrs isn't as understanding and supportive at 2am (when she has an early start the next day) as she is at other times...

Great suggestion though.

9. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    I sense my thread is about to be dragged into the gutter.......

:)

10. MiJaKo

MiJaKo

Oct 27, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    After I unload my gear at home, I make myself a pb&j, share some with my dogs, and then see what sort of ridiculousness is on TV at 3 a.m. Usually gets me drowsy enough within 15 min.

11. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I have the same problem, I think we all do! i have an internal alarm clock and am up by 5AM no matter what time I go to bed, so play until 2 in the morning and then trying to fall asleep at 2:30 is no fun, especially since I know I will be up at 5 no matter how crappy I feel!

12. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    Sorry, what's a "pb&j"?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which he shouldn't be giving dogs ;)

14. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I share everything with my dogs, have since I was a kid and never had one keel over except from old age!

15. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Auburn California
    Ahhh, the life of us rock stars.

16. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Shower, quiet, low lighting, quiet. It can be done if you allow your mind to rest in the sense of not coming up with TV programs to watch, or other electronic gadgets playing.

You're kidding, right? They don't call them that in the UK, or-is that more of a U.S. invention?

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have to come home and surf the net or watch TV for an hour or so to wind down. I can't just hop in bed. My ears are ringing sometimes. Need to let it subside a little.

18. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

You will wind down faster if you DON'T watch TV. The blueish light simulates daylight, and it is also flashing - both which stimulate the brain to wake up.

Instead of the boob toob - read a bit. You will sleep much better.

Melatonin also helps a lot, but you need to take it right away - it takes about 30 mins to start working.

19. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Same problem here, though much more so after a gig than a rehearsal. Fortunately we mostly play weekends so being up late isn't generally as much of an issue. On our odd weeknight gigs I try to actually schedule the next day off. If I can't, I just get into bed. My wife doesn't sleep well so it's precious to her so I try to be as quiet as possible.

20. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    Peanut Butter isn't even sold in the UK as far as I know and I don't know what you guys are calling "Jelly" but if it's the green or red wobbly stuff I have no idea how you get it on to a sandwich!

Two great nations divided by a common language here I think...

:)