1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how do you take apart a bass? (geddy)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, Oct 26, 2006.

1. i have a geddy lee and i want to take it apart and strip the paint and re do it but i dont have a ton of time between shows. what i want to do is one day take it apart, spend the whole next day stripping it, then put it back together for a week or so, then take it apart again to paint it with the reranch products. how hard is it to dissassemle everything out of this bass and put it back together? do i have to re sautter the pickups and all of that stuff or does it all just come apart and able to pull right out on this bass? when i put the neck back in will it need to be re-intonated and will it be a pain to get the action set and everything?

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    the pickups will need to be soldered if you want to completely pull them out.

If you take everything apart it will definitely need to be completely setup again, action, intonation, etc.

I would either recommend waiting til you don't have a gig for a few weeks or finding another bass to use while you are revamping the Geddy. If neither of these are possible I would probably wait......remember Murphy's Law

3. +1 something might go wrong and you'll find yourself out a bass--i'd maybe pick up a cheap SX or something to use while mod'ing the Geddy, so you don't have to rush through it.

4. if you dont have experience w/ stripping finishes, you will probably want to dedicate at least a week of hard labor to stripping the finish off.

patience is the key to a good refinish

5. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    So you don't have to RUSH through it!!! That's great stuff man! :D

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021