How do you teens afford to buy all your gear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ras1983, Jun 1, 2005.

1. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    looking at public profiles of some TB'ers; i noticed that quite a few were born in the late 80's. the thing is that many of them have tons of relatively high end gear listed in their current set up.

i just want to know guys, how do you afford all that great gear???????????????? :confused:
  2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Having next to no bills to pay, parents that spoil, or another source of good income. You'd be suprised what 10$ an hour will buy you when you have nothing to spend it on.
  3. I wouldn't say my gear is high end, but almost everything I own bass-wise I have paid for with my 'pocket money' job at the local supermarket.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    1990 right here.

And lets just say I count down til my birthday and Christmas.
  5. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I used to play bagpipes at weddings/funerals/parties, and I could easily net $150 on a decent job, $200 for a long one. These were fairly few and far between, but I had enough of them so it added up a fair bit. Haven't done it in a long time though, since leaving the incredibly crappy pipe band involved giving back the on-loan uniform. Of course, my gear isn't amazing (just a Nemesis NC200 combo), but it was $600 semi-new, and then there was my Carvin that cost me $650 (which is now going to be sent for repairs since the truss rod is rattling around in the neck).
  6. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    well last chritmas i had about 300$ together and bought a 200$ bass and a 50$ amp and for my birthday i got 300$ and then i got my new amp so i did it in a time period of about 8 months now i just have to wait a year to buy a new bass
  7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I deliver newspaper, and if i lived in the USA then i could be playing a musicman now...
  8. So true. I sympathise. Bass prices are so high everywhere else compared to America. :bawl:
  9. Just wait until you get llaid off once you start paying bills...

You may just see some basses go

(on a side note, as long as I have my Lado and Cirrus I am more then happy)
  10. ....and if I lived in Sweden there would still be 9 months left on my government-funded paternity leave. Every country has its benefits.

11. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    A large chunk of my gear came from Birthday's and Christmas'. Holidays own.

Also, I just graduated. Parents bought me the Ashdown/Avatar rig and I got enough money to order my fretless.
  12. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

Exactly. Making $650 a month goes along way when you don't have to pay rent, taxes, electricity/gas bills, car payments, etc...

I've worked for what I have, but at this stage im my life bass gear and tuition are my only major expenditures.
  13. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Bingo! My parents don't buy me bass stuff, but I am pulling down 10.75/hr at work. 10.75/hr + no bills = plenty of extra cash. I also keep my bass collection down to one at a time. For me it's more important to have one good bass than several mediocre ones. Every time I buy a new bass, I sell the old one, then I just add a little cash and buy something just a little better. After doing this about 4 times I am up to a Warmoth Deluxe 5 and I have never spent more than $200 on an upgrade. So in the end, It doesn't really seem like I have spent all that much on basses.
  14. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Which Ashdown/Avatar rig did you get? And which fretless are you ordering?
  15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have had a parttime job constantly since I was fourteen. My only major expense in my car insurance. Everything else is saved. Effect pedals are the only thing I splurg on with any regularity.
  16. I've made a lot of pizzas to be able to afford my gear.
  17. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I played a used fender jazz bass and behringer combo amp for 3 years. I'm sixteen and I saved for about 2 years and got a peavey half stack. But now I have a job making $5.25 an hour. I'm going to get an SX. So I just don't buy really expensive gear.
  18. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I deliver papers, about £20 a week (Its variable)
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, not a teen anymore, but like Dan1099 said, I didn't have bills at the time.

Plus, there are some decent jobs out there if you keep your eyes open and are willing to work for your money (construction/contracting gophering and cleanup pays decent). Of course, I don't have a lot in the way of other things, no home video collection, older car, no fancy stereo or iPod.

I worked for it. Do I wish I would have spent the money on a car, or college? College, maybe. But I've got FAFSA, scholarships, and all that good stuff, so I can still afford the schooling.

Hard work goes a long way. My parents have bought me precisely nothing musically related; they support my playing music, but they're not about to go enabling or anything.
  20. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    When I was in junior high school, age 14, I played in my guitar teacher's wedding band. Made around $150 - $250 a night each, two or three times a month. No bills (and too young to drive) and that was all gear-buying money . . .