Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you tell if a Fender J Bass is American or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass EC, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Bass EC

Bass EC

Aug 8, 2005
    I'm interested in purchasing a Fender J Bass, Sunburst, from a friend of mine. However, I cannot tell where it was made, as it does not say on the headstock. The model number was something like 318893 or something to that effect.

Is there a way to tell where it was made and the different things installed on it (assuming it's all stock stuff).

Thanks!

2. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
  3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Where it is made is usually right next to the serial number. If it is Japanese, it may be on the back of the neck down by the heel. If not.......may not be a true Fender!

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The MIA Vintage Series Reissues do not have "Made in USA" anywhere on the bass, but they do have a serial number on the neck mounting plate that starts with a "V".

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    MIAs have string through body i believe

6. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    There are so many possibilities from the little info you've given, it's really impossible to even guess at what you have. Is it a new bass? You'll probably get the best help if you can take some pics of the bass--body, neck, headstock, electronics--and post them here.