Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you think a Jazz Bass would look with F holes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 25, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I was on the warmoth website today reading up on their hollow body basses and Gu**ars and saw they offer F holes on a str@* body, that got me thinking how would F holes look on a J bass. I am shure someone along the line has made a hollow J bass and done this but what do you all think of it? and would you own a hollow Jazz Bass with F holes?.

2. i think that would make for one interesting jazz bass. sounds pretty cool to me.

3. MAJOR METAL

It does man, i am sure their is a pic around that is the bass i am discribing.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think bad. The offset body would make it look IMO weird. I think a precision bass would look bettter.

5. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    It might look pretty cool. I recall a hollow top Modulus hanging around here some time ago, Oteil Burbridge signature 6 string I think. I thought that that had F holes and it looking pretty cool. That was years ago though and I may be wrong.

6. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

What if you did a Precision body, J-pups, and an F-hole? That would be hot! Add some nice pups and an onboard preamp. Mmmm tastee.

Who wants to photoshop one?

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think one F-hole would look ok. Two would look weird.

Here's an A/E Precision. The neck is not the proper one, though.

[​IMG]

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Steve Lawson plays a Modulus with f holes. Very beautiful instrument that sounds very good.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe a precision body, P/J pickups, one F hole.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That would be the Oteil Burbridge model.

11. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    It wouldn't look that wierd... think Fender Starcaster.

12. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Similar to Oteils - I've got two Moduluses with F-holes - the fretless has a lined Granadillo board, a U-Retro Preamp and Lane Poor pickups, the fretted has a Granadillo board, U-Retro Preamp, Bart pickups and a totally one-of-a-kind carved top.

The initial inspiration for getting them was playing an Oteil, but I made a few changes when I ordered each of them...

:)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

13. MAJOR METAL

I think for a jazz bass it would be better if the bass did not have a pickguard for i dont think a F hole would look good going through a pickguard

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    AH good point, never though of that.

I know i played a Spector Professional series that had one pickup (EMG HZ) and an F hole. It was actually really nice looking.

15. It would maybe look like an Ampeg AE1, only with a Fender headstock.

16. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

For a while, and they may still be available, Azola was making a model called the Jazzman, which was completely hollow, J-style body (and J style neck and headstock) with "S" holes (Azola's rather art-deco-ish take on the traditional f hole). VERY nice basses....amazing tone and playability......and weighed next to nothing. They came fitted with a choice of PUs, tho most had Azola's proprietary piezo system, which, BTW, gave the bass some incredible tone and dynamic touch. Fretted, ftreless or even and extended fretless neck which allowed playing positions into the third octave.....some even with curved, upright type fingerboards. Amazing bass!

Steve Azola makes wonderful instruments..and I think there might be pics of the Jazzman at th4e Azola website.

Max

17. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    USA Custom Guitars (.com) offerers J-basses with F-holes. Buy me one and I'll take some pictures. :)

18. MAJOR METAL

Thanks Max http://azola.com/sys-tmpl/jazzman/ . How do you play in the higher register with the neck in the middle of the body?.

19. MAJOR METAL

Here is a hollow J with F hole http://usacustomguitars.com/jayhollow.html

20. MAJOR METAL