1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you think he got this sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by u84six, Jan 16, 2012.

1. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Yes, I know, it's Justin Timberlake. But I heard this on the radio and I thought the bass player got a really unique sound. Does anyone have any idea how he might have gotten it?

Try to stomach the song and listen to the bass. :)

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's a synthesizer (freaking early 2000s) but you could get that sound with a P or a Stingray.

3. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I feel like I've just been rickrolled ... :D

4. I'm not ashamed to say I love this song! My wife is giving me funny looks though.

5. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    I've played this song live, cheesy but fun to play. Bridge pickup on a jazz nails this tone.

6. Bridge pickup would've been my first guess too. Maybe a little bass boost then.

7. Nicely eq:ed Precision would also work. Anyway, it's a synth line, you could hear the MIDI quantizations.

8. Finbase

Finbase

Oct 12, 2010
    Espoo, Finland
    I can get a similar tone with my equipment. R Cocco stainless steel strings and bridge pick up soloed. Bartolini P2, routed relatively close to the bridge.

And the bass HAS to be freakin' expensive De Gier... :p

BTW, You might be interested in this one, too...

Justin Timberlake Rock Your Body Live @ T4 Special - YouTube

9. RL Scott

RL Scott

Nov 21, 2011
    I could get a better sound with fishing line, a broom handle and a washtub. I despise synths when they are used to replace real people playing real instruments. That is a sound any bass & rig could nearly duplicate just by tweaking a knob or two. I know I'm being harsh, but I was a little shocked to see this on a site dedicated to the making of actual music.

Sorry, I know I'm new here and should probably hold my tongue a bit, but the sound you want to copy doesn't even sound much like a bass guitar to me, it's more like a bassoon or something.

10. Well, it grooves really well. We need to be a little big more open-minded here...

11. Finbase

Finbase

Oct 12, 2010
    Espoo, Finland
    +1 to that!

Just for a comparison:
    Daft Punk - Voyager - YouTube

Yes, it's "only a synth", but if this doesn't groove to you, I don't know what does...

12. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    -1 to it being a bad synth line. That's just nice tight playing. If you listen closely you can make out some slight variations on how he's hitting the octave in the line, and some other things.
    It's possible the line may have been cut up and looped in some parts.

J, MM, or soapbars in the bridge position, and playing technique

13. RL Scott

RL Scott

Nov 21, 2011
    It just dawned on me that I might have come across as attacking the poster of this thread with what I said earlier. I wasn't meaning to. I was talking about Timberlake and artists like him. Sorry to u84six if I came across that way.

Those synth lines are more than likely sampled from someone else's work then looped and pitch corrected to fit the changes.

14. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I have a jazz bass and use the bridge pickup and can't get even close to this sound.

15. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    That's what I'm thinking. A really expensive bass with active bridge pickups, some type of high-end round wound strings and $10,000 eq. :)

16. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Really? The first thing I thought was Jazz with bridge pickup soloed.

17. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    No problem, man. But one thing you should know. Different people like different music. I've been a musician for 30 years and I don't care what people use for instruments if they make a song I can relate to and enjoy. It's called being open-minded to creativity.

Also, some people get paid a lot of money to play covers. And these days, with most people NOT paying for their music, a cover band can be a really good thing for a musician who would rather play their instrument than sit at a desk all day or stand out in the freezing cold digging a ditch. If they pay me enough, I'll play any song! ;)

18. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Maybe, with $10,000 eq. :)

19. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Anyone else actually check out who played on that record? Nathan East, and Thaddeus T. Tribbett - maybe one of those two would know? ;) I'm still talking out of my ass at this point (IOW - I have no proof...just opinion) but I still say that's a pretty easy tone to nail with the right player and gear.

20. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I can nail it with my PJ bass, bridge pickup slightly favored, gain around 10:00, bit of compression.