1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you think this combination would sound?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sonorous, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'm going to put together a Warmoth parts type bass and I'm not quite sure what kind of woods I'd like. I know I want a J-bass body routed for a P and MM bass pickup and a fretless jazz bass neck.

The sound I'm looking for is a tight & punchy, yet still big sounding low end, with complex & present mids, with a clear bell like kind of high end. Now, I realize thats a lot to ask for all at once... but thats why theres a P and MM pickup combination, I'm hoping that a blending of those two will really help.

For the neck I'm thinking of a wenge neck with an ebony board, and for the body I'm thinking swamp ash. Any one have a different wood suggestion for achieving something like that? Would a graphite/carbon fiber neck possibly be right for what I'm trying to do?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Wenge and ebony are both very heavy - and swamp ash is light. So this would add up to a neck-heavy bass.

I'd also add bubinga to the list of woods. IMO, go and try a bubinga-bodied Corvette, and see how you like the sound. With fresh strings, mine sounds exactly as you defined, though it might very posibbly be one of the better ones.

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    See, glad I asked. I completley forgot to think about the balance issue.

Ok, I'll try to find a bubinga bass somewhere.

EDIT: It looks like Warmoth doesn't do bubinga bodies. What about walnut? Would that make it not quite clear enough? I don't know how bright walnut sounds.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There should be a couple Corvettes in every GC and such.
    What? No bubinga? What a disappointment! However, I've heard that they are quite flexible.
    Anyway, try a Corvette, you might even like it. The oil/wax finish allows it to be easily modded - no cracking finish, just reapply wax and it's nice again. If not, then you can think about other woods.

A large and thick bubinga J body and a wenge/ebony neck might be a bit heavy, though. Easily over 10-11 lbs - maybe even more. It's a very good tone combination, just a bit heavy