how do you think this would sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Feb 16, 2003.

1. I had this idea for a while, but I know it would never happen.
    I know it looks ugly (see pic) but I think is would make a difference in sound. (tighter low b)

(If your wondering how the neck pickup would be wired, it would be like a p-bass, split pickup.
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    interesting idea. i would guess that the B string would have more of a low mid - midrange emphasis than low end compared to the other strings.

what's your reason for thinking of something like this? tightening up the B string?
  3. I played 5 sting jazzes and I find when you put both pickups on full, the EADG sound nice fat and round with punch, like a jazz bass should, but the B sounds, blurry ans such. but when you back of then front pickup, the b tightens up a bit,more defined sounding, but then the D and G sound too thin. so this way you get the best of both worlds.
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Seems like Sadowsky is already doing something similar, if a little less extreme:

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I would think that the variation in tone between the B and the E might be too extreme. But maybe for you it would work.

Bear in mind that if you're looking to achieve the humbucking effect of a P pickup, this is dependent on both coils having the same RF reception sensitivity. To do this, (number of turns of wire) × (enclosed area of coil) for the first coil must be equal to (number of turns of wire) × (enclosed area of coil) for the second coil.

One less extreme version would be the reverse-P used by Sadowsky, mentioned above. Another would be a slanted jazz-type pickup — slanted oppositely from way it's most commonly done (e.g. Roscoe). Something like this, but more extremely slanted. More like one of these.