Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you transport your rig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JimM, Jan 19, 2000.

1. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    When I used to have aol,I would read they're bass board(never posted)and they took this topic down some pretty humorous trails.

Since i'm in the market for a new pickup,I thought I'd check out your wheels

Oh,I had to quit aol,they had no local phone no.and all my time there was on long distance.But this is a much better board,not just limited to americans,also much friendlier.Theres not the fighting over semantics etc.

2. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Usually in my 4dr Accord, but I do have an Astro van for when I need more than a single 15. I used to have a Pinto wagon and I just left my 2-15 in the back between gigs and plugged it into the radio. [​IMG]

------------------
    Paul

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Last year, I "broke" down & bought a Honda SUV...
    Prior to that-I owned an '84 BMW 318i. Here's how "that" worked: Bass in the trunk; amp in the back seat; Eden 4x10XLT barely in the front seat!(did I say BARELY...so that I couldn't see out of the passenger side window?).
    ...Oh, yeah-girlfriend sitting directly BEHIND me in the back seat...bitching the whole way to & fro.
    Ed...man, I don't see how you guys deal with the subway, cabs,...awesome, man!

4. Bryan

Bryan

Dec 24, 1999
    I have a 1990 CHEVY 4x4 pickup (full size with a short bed). The 4x4 helps because it can get nasty here in K.C. I would like to get a Suburban but they are expensive and plus (knock on wood) my pickup has never given my any grief, plus it's paid for!

5. Staci

Staci

Dec 11, 1999
    I use the Donald van here. That would be my husband's ( Don) Windstar van. Bryan I live North of KC. Know what you mean. So I guess I have roadie plus transport all in one. Plus he is a City bus driver, so if I ever make it big (ha!) then I already have the bus driver too. [​IMG]---Staci.

6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    '99 Toyota RAV4. But it's actually smaller inside than my old Tercel wagon so the rack, cab, and suitcase (cords, stand, etc.) go in the back but the basses now are on the back seat.

Much more useful is my folding 2-wheel hand truck. This thing really changed my gig life for the better. All one trip, no pain. Look into one...

7. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    JimK, after looking at your profile I was wondering, where do you keep all those basses and stuff? I had 10 when I got married, now I'm down to like 5 and my wife still complains that my stuff takes up too much room.

------------------
    Paul

8. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I think JimK's storage solution has to do with choice of living arrangement...

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Well...it's called being SINGLE! I'll admit, I'm at the point now where something has to go before I buy anything "new"(I'm selling my Tobias 5 on eBay...take a look- search under [tobias bass]). My other instruments are "mine"; in other words, they would be difficult to move(except for the '78 MusicMan StingRay...& that's going nowhere!). Too, until the past year, I was always in TWO bands & I used to keep one rig warehoused at each site.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

By coincidence I was watching a motoring programme (Top Gear) on TV last night and they mentioned that the top 4 makes of vehicle in the US are pickup trucks! They also mentioned that they are uncomfortable, unbalanced (all the weight at the front) and are like a transit van with no roof.

So can any of you from the US explain the appeal? And what do you do if it rains and your gear is in the back? I also imagine anything in the back being stolen when you are at the lights in most inner-city areas!

11. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Like Player, I have a Chevy Astro B.A.V. (Big Ass Van), which can carry my gigantic Peavey combo, bass in HSC, backpacks filled with reams of illegally copied music (I have assembled a veritable monument to copyright infringement), my wife and her flute stuff, all the other misc gear, plus three highly annoyed conscript roadies (my kids). And, with a 4.3 Vortec engine, it'll still blow all them punier minivans off the road. Player, watch out if you have the Dutch doors in the back; yesterday I spent 70 bucks replacing the hydraulic lifters, and that's with me doing the labor (two months out of warranty too--doh!).

Bruce, as you know, America is a land of extremes, with bigger always being better, practicality be damned. Moderation is for pussies or commies (although I've paid my Tercel-driving dues, I'll have you know). It's stupid and wasteful, but that's the way it is, and so far, it's been working.

On a related note, how do you guys carry all the misc "stuff"--cables, tuners, stands, etc? What have you found works best--bags, boxes, trunks, etc? It's starting to get out of control for me. Just curious.

12. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Lump, I used to use a small suitcase then my brother (a respitory therapist) got me this box it's like 12"x9"x9" that works great as long as it's just my bass stuff (cables, strings, stomp box, DI, etc.). My Astro is the extended BAV. Used to belong to Marge Schott (if you know who she is). Still cleaning out dog hair.
    BTW, I know you had more 4 posts. What happened?

------------------
    Paul

[This message has been edited by Player (edited January 21, 2000).]

13. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    well for my guitar amp, any car that can handle the weight of my 100 pound Fender Super Twin Reverb [​IMG]

14. grussell

grussell

Dec 18, 1999
    Don't do much transporting anymore but it used to be a Toyota Hiace van. Now I can just leave the stuff set up and plug in when I get there.

Bruce - I guess it's hard to get you head around the pick up thing when living in the UK. I'm in Australia where we have an interesting blend of US, Japanese and UK/Euro based vehicles along with the room on the roads like the US. No tight country lanes here so I suppose it's horses for courses.

What's rain? [​IMG]

------------------
    Guy

[This message has been edited by grussell (edited January 21, 2000).]

15. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    *lump* --

I carry all of my misc little **** in a full-size soft-sided zippered suitcase that my neighbor left at the curb with the garbage. Price was right and I still haven't figured out what was wrong with it. Last year's style, perhaps.

Anyway, it's big enough for a wire music stand, and my charts go in the pocket inside the shallow side (that wouldn't help you much). And the soft-side means it stretched as I acquired.

16. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Bruce,I need a small truck to haul my bicycles to the bike trail,a 32 mile(kilometers anyone ?)paved bike trail along the scenic american river that flows right through the middle of sacto california.when we want protection from theft,we just put a small camper shell on the back and no one can see in.I personally dont have a shell,but lots of folks do.theres still lots of trees here(I Know thats arguable)so some people use trucks to haul wood for their fireplaces.Then theres tool boxes and lumber racks that can be added which make it more useful.I carry my bass in a truck toolbox,theres still room for my guitar and my gigbag,a sports bag I carry my bass stand,music,and cords etc.in.I also keep the jumper cables in there [​IMG].

17. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Player,

As far as I can tell, Paul hates me.

Actually, the system ate my username right before the last server move, so I added the little a**hole thingies in order to log on (usedtobejim has a similar story). A few days ago, at my request, Paul kindly purged the username "lump" so I could go back to using it (yay). But, that meant going back to zero posts [​IMG]. I'm thinking of asking Paul to give me "Lifetime New Member" status. One thing's for certain--another server crash, and I'm demanding a refund [​IMG]

18. grussell

grussell

Dec 18, 1999
    Wow! Must be a shocking experience to have your username eaten, and then to be purged as well - horrible [​IMG] Maybe if we all gang up on Paul he'll add a zero to your postings - or maybe you can quickly submit the same post 50 times and catch up [​IMG]

------------------
    Guy

[This message has been edited by grussell (edited January 22, 2000).]

19. Fiat Uno. 75 SX IE that is. Does 180 kmph. Tried it.

Two lumpy (sorry lump) 12"+5" cabs (60x42x50 cm) go upright in the back, bass case sits in the passenger seat. Rack on folded-down backseat. Leaves no room for passenger, sadly. But I'm single, so who would I have to carpool? All the other band members have their own car. My brother has an Opel Corsa, in which he puts his Sonor Force3000 drumkit. Cars are expensive in Holland, so. Petrol sells for about 1 dollar 25 a litre nowadays, and the government plans on putting portals at some highways around Amsterdam, "allowing" you to pay for traffic jam. Nice eh? My small Fiat costs me about a quarter of my income. Maintenance included, which I do myself. It's a 1990 compact car for God's sake!