Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you trasport your Dbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JC Mags, Mar 22, 2003.

1. JC Mags

JC Mags

Jan 2, 2002
    Last night I was on I gig, and I noticed that the filler that was used to join the neck to the body was chipping off (or what appears to be the start of it). I really didn't think it was caused by the string's tension coz i'm using Corelli's, which were really low in tension. Then it hit me... It might be caused by the way i transport my bass.

I usually trasport my bass in my Isuzu Hi-Lander SUV. The neck of the bass is resting on top of the front seat's back rest and the rest of it is at the back seat. It kind of resembles a plank with supports at opposite ends, which in my opinion, is really stressful to the neck joint.

The thing is, i dont know any other way i could fit the bass in my car. All your inputs are very well appreciated regarding this topic.

Thanks guys... :)

JCMagsalin

2. Hello JC - Welcome to TalkBass.com - lots of fine information to be had by all...

Here's one thread, and another, and yet another!!!!
    Oh look! Here's another with pictures...

Isn't the search function amazing?

;)

- Wil

3. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    i never transport my bass with the weight supported by the neck - ever - cuz i'm scared of the situation you find yourself in.

since my wagon has split folding rear seats, i can get away with putting one down and letting the bass neck rest off to one side of it, scroll between the front seats. when i find myself in a situation where i need to get the neck up over some obstacle (maybe we're putting something under the neck in a packed car) i put some extra padding underneath the upper bout of the bass to raise the neck high enough that it's not taking the weight of the body. i want the body to carry the weight.

sean p

4. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Does your front seat lie down? I can fit my 3/4 into almost any car considering the front seat lies down and depending on whether or not you need room for shifting too....... and theres no tensin on the neck what so ever.

-T

5. I drive a 95 Taurus sedan, and I recline the front seat all the way and insert the bass ass-end first in through the front passenger door (this spares the neck from the stress described above).

Aside from some wicked blind spots, this works pretty well, and it elicits some pretty funny looks at stop lights.