How do you treat "off" days?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by TheGrayBassGuy, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Hey folks,

Earlier this week, I was having one of those days where I couldn't play anything right. I spent about 40 minutes practicing a 3 octave C major scale, and I still couldn't play it remotely in tune descending. I ended up getting really frustrated and moved onto something else. Then I couldn't get that right. I ended up just stopping all together, without accomplishing anything. At that point, I got really depressed/angry about my playing in general, and the rest of my day sucked.

I dandy now, but for future reference, I'd like to know what you guys do to avoid that feeling of hopelessness when you're having a bad day.

2. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    I believe that every musician has a certian level of playing that they will never fall below, regardless of how "off" he or she might feel. Avoding the subject of what causes someone to be "off", any time I feel like I'm not playing as well as I can I got back to the very basics. I'd play a major scale slowly, maybe 60 bpm. If I'm still not playing well even slower. And if I'm going as slow as I possibly can then I need to find out what is causing me to play out of tune or with a bad tone.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Back to back Law and Orders. Original and SVU, but not Criminal Intent.

Works like a charm.

-tk

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What, no Criminal Intent? You mean you don't dig "The Leaner"? :D

[​IMG]

I treat off days just like any other days, since that's basically what they are. The important thing is just to have the bass in my hands and to play the best I'm capable at that moment. Getting upset about your playing on days like this only makes things worse, and usually indicates a desire to be preoccupied with something else for me. I just try to remember that "bad days" are required to make the good days seem good...once I do that, it all makes more sense and it's easier to keep on practicing.

5. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    Usually, when I take off days, the s*** I was working on that I couldn't get right somehow seems better. I've noticed it alot. I'll practice to the point of frustration then stop for a day or so. When i come back, after a little warmup, the particular problem I was working on seems to have gotten just a little better.

6. GriffithLea

GriffithLea

Aug 29, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    I think most everyone runs into this. Progress comes in waves. Just keep practicing, and wait to catch that next wave (sorry for the lame surfer analogy, but I hope you get my meaning).

7. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I try playing a little slower. Often times right in the middle of a song.

8. Thanks guys

I think I got in some sort of complex where I wanted to keep going until I got it right, and since that wasn't happening, I was getting angry.

Next time, I'll just work with what I can.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021