How do you trill?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by WrapRough, May 4, 2021.

1. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I didn't know there was a name for it. Like, it was a technical thing. Hahahaha. It's just a quick note roll. Or whanahana. Haha.

bigdaddybass12 likes this.
  2. trill up is one thing. Trill down is something else, unless you fake it by playing down a half step. a Trill down is a rapid pull off. Sometimes I regret hanging around with violin players. They do this stuff like it's nothing.

chaak likes this.
  3. Completely disagree. The second method is wayyyy easier and looks super sloppy, like the person playing doesn't know what they're doing and doesn't know how to execute a proper trill, so they fake it. A proper trill looks MUCH more pro. "Pro" is even in the word "proper". It's easier to be more accurate and nuanced with a proper trill.

Nonetheless, the second method sounds different enough to have its own place in music and either method can and should be used as a form of expression and both should be in any string player's "toolbox". I would never substitute one for the other and employ whichever suits the music at the moment, which is totally subjective (as is which method looks more "pro" :laugh:).

SteveCS and WrapRough like this.
  4. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Both techniques. There’s a place for the vibrato trill and the two-finger version.

SteveCS likes this.
  5. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    I don’t really play any music that uses a trill on bass. Guitar on the other hand...

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

;)

9d6cc4adc48f7fd769899302bc51daf8b.jpg

7. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    Yeah good video, cheers. I love MarloweDK. When I first started he was the man on YouTube and learnt so much from him

Paul New and 31HZ like this.
  8. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Trills for metal, rock and solos. Greazy slides for groovy funk, especially if there's an envelope filter involved.

thabassmon likes this.
  9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    This a good point worth additional consideration. As a predominantly fretless player, I find the glissing ('squiggle') approach really doesn't amount to much more than very deep vibrato that shifts focus away the principle (lower) note. Generally speaking, the main focus of a trill should be decorating the lower note. The articulated approach is far more useful in that regard, IME.

Killing Floor likes this.
  10. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I use both but it does seem that I tend to favor the shake on the bass and the trill on guitar. No idea why, maybe I subconsciously view the guitar as a more dainty instrument.

11. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    I think that's pretty accurate. I mean, those strings are so thin and cute. Can you even get callouses from them? :laugh:

OogieWaWa and thabassmon like this.
  12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

The 2 methods sound diffently. Sliding will be legato, Using fingersi is more staccato. It's about what you want to hear.

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

So you're saying it's a cheap trill ?

DC in ATX and WrapRough like this.
  14. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    There is certainly a difference in the attack of each note and the depth of slur between the methods, but I don't hear either creating clearly shortened notes with significant space between them.

15. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    Agree, although I think I understand what the poster is implying. But it's definitely not staccato as you're always holding the lower note in the two finger method, and sliding in the second. There is no space in either

12BitSlab and SteveCS like this.
  16. Avigdor

Avigdor

Aug 23, 2018
    Think of the beginning of Beethoven's "Für Elise" ;)

17. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    I would not consider that a trill....

This is a trill:

18. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I use the hammer on/off method exclusively. It translates to fretless, where the other method is just spastic vibrato.

19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I play that. I pluck both notes.

Avigdor and SteveCS like this.
  20. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I tap more than I slide. I find sliding a little harder.

WrapRough likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021