How do you trill?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by WrapRough, May 4, 2021.

1. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I look at bass playing more simply.
    When a guitar player critiques your playing, it doesn't matter much as you could return the favour but are too polite to do so, nor do you want to bother wasting your time any how.

Now when this gets interesting is when that happens at a gig and as you walk off set, a patron calls out, "Great bass playing!" "Don't get to hear playing like that every day".

That actually happened as written one gig, so I turned to the guitar player and simply smiled. I think I heard one contributor here refer to them as "gui****s"?

2. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Now I am really puzzled....censorship? Is this an American site as Article 1 is law?

3. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    The site owner has chosen not to allow profanity. For example, you can't say the f word (translates it to shag) or even the s word (translates it to poopie) :)

4. Are there drills that one could use to practice the technique for trills?
    I am looking for notation or better yet, video instruction on the subject, specifically for bass.
    If anyones cares to share links, I would be most grateful.

5. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Not if you're Eddie Gomez. I refer to the two devices as trilling and Gomezing.

6. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Ha, I thought that picture someone replied to me was Cheetara in some Thundercats movie I never saw. Hahahahaha

Man, I'm 0/0 on this thread! Haha

bassdude51 likes this.
  7. VolverseLoco

VolverseLoco Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2018
    Las Vegas
    How do you all play your bass with your teeth, like Yngwie Malmsteen does to his guitar?

8. Papageno

Papageno

Nov 16, 2015
    France
    As a leftie playing right-handed, the trill (I play it with index and middle finger, for a semi-tone) comes quite easily for me. I can't even imagine how I could play this if I would be fretting with my right hand. It's not frequent that I feel like having an advantage over righties...

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  9. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    The word trill has been a well-known musical term since the early 1900s. Before that it was called a “shake”. But it was still the hammer-on pull-off method, not the slidey method. I can’t believe so many people have never heard of it.

WrapRough and SteveCS like this.
  10. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    It doesn't sound exactly the same, so I'd say both, depending, but I am inclined to say that the hammer on/pull off method sounds inherently better to me than the slide back and forth rapidly one.

Yes, I am definitely in the move your fingers camp too, that goes for all my playing really, staying on just one note just doesn't quite work all that well for most things, especially not trills. ;)

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  11. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    It is normal nor to hear of something another person may know.
    When I started playing we didn't know who the bass player was or what gear he used or how he played.
    Many of the most famous bass players continually quoted on this site, I never heard of until I found this site. All about exposure and technology and mostly on how much the user relies on it.

Being old school, I don't nor ever did rely on technology which is why I like Gibson's and Marshall's and never will a pedal contaminate my single cable to the amp.

12. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    "Trill" is not an esoteric term, and it is old-school, like a century or so. If you have had any exposure to basic musical terms, lessons, school music classes, you should have heard it, no matter what instrument you play. If you have learned "vibrato", "tremolo", "staccato", or "glissando", you should know "trill" as well.

13. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    50 years of playing never exposed it until it was stated here. Just like Jaco, Never heard of him. Facts I am afraid.

14. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I understand. Seek knowledge and you will find it. Those not interested will not.

15. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    The interest dies quickly when nothing better has been demonstrated.

16. Reg Braithwaite

Reg Braithwaite

Oct 21, 2018
    The history of the embellishment and the various names it has been known by is an interesting read:

Trill (music) - Wikipedia

Bach away from the Dad Jokes. Your dog died and your truck baroque down.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  17. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    This thread is old, where you been Haydn?

SteveCS and Reg Braithwaite like this.
  18. Reg Braithwaite

Reg Braithwaite

Oct 21, 2018
    bump city.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021