1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you trim a metal grill?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Uncle K, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I want to replace the grills on my Ashdown cabs. I found some 2x4 sheets on ebay, but how do I cut them so they look nice and neat? I assume a circular saw. Yes? No? If so, then what kind of blade should I use?

2. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    You want to use a blade rated for cutting steel. A wood cutting blade would dull quickly and eventually shoot metal at you. A dremel with the correct bit would work too. Just draw on your line and take your time.

3. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Take it to a metal shop and have them cut it on the shear. It'll take 2 seconds.

4. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    Some of these man...

[​IMG]

Trust the guy that works with metal. :)

Angle grinder would also do but is messier and will leave burrs (scratchy things) on the edges, which is fine if you have a file to file them off, but if you dont...

@t77mackie, you mean the guillotine?

5. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    The problem with those is they tend to bend the metal in weird ways that is hard to correct to the untrained man.

6. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Whatever you want to call it in your neck of the woods. The giant industrial paper cutter looking thing.

Ker-CHUNK - done. Perfect.

7. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    sheet steel yes, not grill type steel. :)

@t77mackie - I agree that is the easiest and best way, but is it the fastest/cheapest? I mean, taking it to a panel beating shop and all...

8. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Can you be more specific with what kind of blade. I know there are many different blades for wood, so I'm thinking there are many different blades for metal as well. I've learned not to trust many of Home Depot's low wage employees.

9. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    AAhh... Oozman is from Austrailia - listen to him and your cab will look all 'Mad Max'! :smug:

10. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    If he's just cutting one or two pieces they'd probably do it for free. It wouldn't be worth the time / effort to write up an invoice. And if he said, "bla, bla, bla poor musican bla bla bla free CD" then they'd definitely do it for free.

Just Google metal fabrication or welding in your area.

11. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    Lets not be racist.

12. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Sorry. It was a joke. Metal grills and Australia just made The Road Warrior come to mind...

13. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    +1
    I've tried those before, the end result was very sloppy.

Also, I tried to get a metal shop to preform a small job for me a few years back. The guy told me that he didn't have time to pull someone off something they were already working on.

14. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    Yes.

No. These are only suitable for thin metal, such as ductwork or flashing. And even if the grill metal was light enough (which I doubt), you won't get the perfectly straight cut of a metal shear.

15. ??????

What's with the overuse and misapplication of this word?

16. You might try a jigsaw with a fine cut metal blade, and clamp a straight board to the grill for a fence to cut with. I did this a few years ago with some perf metal and it worked well.

17. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Those ... What I used to replace the Grill on my Peavey and it came out great.

18. Have a local shop cut it on a metal shear. Like stated, it will take 2 seconds and look like it came form the factory in the size you desire.

19. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I would use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel. Or circular saw with a metal blade. Just make sure to protect your eyes. Wear safety glasses and a face shield. Tape the area that you are going to cut so you don't destroy the finish on the grill, and it gives you something to draw a line on.

20. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Two bad the shp you tried in the past wouldn't accommodate you. I suggest trying another. Sometimes aluminum siding guys have things like that too. After you cut it, I suggest bending the cut 90 degrees as well, so you will have to over cut, making the finished bent size the size of your opening.

Reliable Hardware sells a variety of metal grills, and will cut and bend the edges to your specifications.