1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you tune your 5 string - POLL!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rob_the_bassist, Apr 18, 2006.

1. B - E - A - D - G

194 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. E - A - D - G - C

29 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Some other way...

12 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Ok how do you tune your 5 string bass? If you have two basses and tune them both ways...which way do you find yourself using more?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I personally get little use out of a low B. On a five string I prefer the high C. Though I prefer a six string for a sense of symmetry.

Give me a fiver, it'll be E-A-D-G-C with a Hipshot on the E.

3. hipshot? i havn't heard that term before..what is it?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    BEADG.

5. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    i use both.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its a de-tuner. Little mini tuner than attaches to your tuner for quick de tuning to a preset pitch.

7. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
  8. rofl i call that a clicker..

9. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Boston
    I mostly play metal and having my lowest string tuned in B is a must... I use it in all my compositions and don't really think I'd need to go higher than what the E string offers.

10. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    beadg.

i think the vast majority of fivers will be tuned beadg. for most musical situations the five extra low notes are more useful than the 5 extra high notes. but there are those, like tplyons, who will find the high c more useful than the low b.

that will be the determining factor, because both tunings will require less position shifting than a four string.

11. hmm do any of the voters want to elaborate on why they tune their bass the way they do or what genre of music they typically use this tunage for?

12. BEADG, but like to drop to AEADG on occasion...

13. B-E-A-D-G

An absolute MUST for Urban Gospel -- which is primarily what I play.

14. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

My only bass is a fretless five string tuned EADGC. I think if a low B ever became mandatory, I'd go with a six string.

Ironically, that's still the same tuning on that bass I use for my uber-sludge progressive drone doom project, just that bass through a Big Muff to the amp, but that's another topic.

15. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb

I guess that counts as B-G

16. wow i never saw that set up before

17. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    DADGC is what Seth uses.

I use this mostly now. I used to have my bass in BEADG and then I got another 5er and started tuning in EADGC but then the band I was in primarily was going drop D and so I loved the tone of one of my 5ers so much that I just drop tuned that one instead of going to one of my 4stringers. So I use most of the most common ones but now I am going to be stickin with the DADGC for most giggin purposes.

18. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I use BEADG for two reasons..

One would be that those lower 5 notes are much more crucial to me in pretty much any style of music than extending 5 more notes into guitar range (my band plays everything.. and I use those notes for metal, fusion, techno, reggae, hip hop, etc)

The other reason is that the high C string feels flimsy and akward under my right (plucking) hand fingers, and it just doesn't work out for playing quick repeated notes.

19. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Ab-Db-Ab-Db-Gb

20. With LKS:
    A-C#-G#-C#-F# or sometimes Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb
    otherwise:
    B-E-A-D-G or sometimes Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb