How do you turn a volume pedal into an "expression" pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, May 28, 2004.

1. Someone help me out here. I just got two Morley pedals at a flea market, a stereo volume, and a volume boost. For 10 bucks, with a DOD edge, and a Dr.Bass Stethascope amp. 10 BUCKS!

And they all work. Thing is, I want to turn one of these into an expression pedal to use with my BOSS Octave. I've heard this can be done...anyone know how?

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My suggestion is to decide which you don't want as a volume, and trade or sell the other off for an expression pedal. Less wiring headache, and you may actually come out even more ahead than scoring all that for $10!
  3. I agree. Much better solution than MAYBE getting a working expression pedal. Better sell and get a good expresison pedal. Morleys don't come very cheap either do they?
  4. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    ok, here{s how to:

i have never used your octave pedal, so i will use as an example a boss overdrive, and the thing you want to control (express) would be the distorsion level. The thing that you turn, you know, the knob, is a component called potentiometer. It is a variable resistor. When you press your foot on a volume pedal, a mechanism makes a potentiometer turn. Ok, here's what you would have to do: desolder the potentiometer from the pedal. Solder a wire from each of the "legs" of the volume pedal's potentiometer, and solder the other end of the wires to the holes where the forts pot was. hope you got it.
  5. Fantastic! I admit to not proofreading my initial post, it's a BOSS Dynamic Filter I'm referring to. Duh. There's an Expression pedal in on that pedal. I have no idea why I typed octave... I digress.

As for elgranluis' explanation, that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. A very quick, easily done mod. That I can change back on the quick.