Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you upload mid files to the V-Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RunBeerRun, Jan 3, 2005.

1. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    I found some new sounds by mid. files at http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/vbass/

I have a midiman uno cable, goes usb to 2 midi cables which I plug in the back of the v-bass. I have the vbass manual, I press system, then f6 to go to midi, then page to the right until I get bulk load. It says "waiting"

how do I get it to accept the vbass.mid file? I tried playing it in windows media player, that didnt do anything....

2. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey RunBeerRun. Congratulations on finding the V-Bass group, although not a lot of active discussion over there.

I transfer the files by converting them to .txt with MF2T (MIDI file to text) then transfer them with MIDI-OX. I don't know if this is the best way to do it but it works for me.

Oh, and one more thing... back up everything (including system) before doing anything! Trust me, I learnt the hard way! ;)

Good luck!

3. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    ok thanks...

4. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    hey how do you use mf2t?

I got a txt file called "originalvbasssettings.txt" located at c://Program Files/MIDIOX/Instr/originalvbasssettings.txt

ok the code i have to use is:t2mf [-r] [[textfile] midifile]

i just inserted the above file's location for "textfile"

and made a name and location for the midifile

nothing happened

huh?

5. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    hey more importantly, does the new presets that you upload go to the 25 banks of 4 presets that are "user presets"

or does it go there, and also the presets you cannot write over?

cuz that would suck! and i'd have to do a bulk dump first....

if its only the first user presets(25 banks of 4) i can skip the bulk dump i hardly changed the presets anyways

6. Ba55Man1ac

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey RunBeerRun

I don't know where you got that .txt file, but you actually want to go the other way, converting the .mid patch sets you downloaded from the V-Bass Group to .txt files for transfer with MIDI-OX. Here's how I did it:

Download:
    vbass_patches_3-24-2004.mid
    from V-Bass Group & put in:
    M:\Temp\V-Bass
    directory. Rename it to:
    patches.mid
    (mf2t is a DOS program & only recognises filenames with 8 characters or less)
    Also put mf2t.exe in same directory. Go to Start Menu, Run, & type in the box:
    M:\Temp\V-Bass\mf2t patches.mid patches.txt
    This should create the file patches.txt in M:\Temp\V-Bass\
    Run MIDI-OX, open the SysEx window (3rd icon from top left), Command Window, Load File..., navigate & find patches.txt, prep the V-Bass & Send SysEx

If all goes well the patches will be transferred! Keep in mind this is a simplified version of events from my memory, but hopefully will put you on the right track. You may have to set up your MIDI devices. You say you have a USB to MIDI cable... I haven't used one of these before, only MIDI to MIDI.

And they only write in the user patch area, the preset patches cannot be written over. But definitely BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM (I installed a patch set and it erased my bass settings so I had to recalibrate everything!). Use MIDI-OX and Receive Manual Dump in the SysEx window and SAVE it!

Good luck!
    :rolleyes:

7. hi
    i did it in windows media player
    just make sure u select the right midi out in yer audio properties

regards
    dave

8. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    thanks guys, will try out ideas when I get a chance

but do the new patches go to the user patches, or both the user and the un-rewritable patches?

cuz i dont want to wipe all the presets out!

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    ;)

10. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    ok, I seriously didn't read all of that post yet...

thanks for the good luck!

11. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    Wow, that all worked and it was really easy to understand and execute! Thanks, I'll copy and paste your words for future reference. Now to play with my new sounds!

12. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    Well, there are a million Moog patches and then another midi upload had professional bassist's sounds, which sounded pretty cheap.

But at least I am one step closer now to uploading version2 software into a gr20, once I buy one...

13. dash333

dash333

Mar 7, 2005
    Just got mi' V bass and downloaded the .mid for the new patches.
    I followed the instructions to load the patches via midiOx via my pc.
    Got as far as converting the file to a .txt and primed the V bass('system>f6>page5) tried send ing via the ssysex screen in midiox but no joy.
    I'm using a midiman 1x1 but only using the midi out of the midiman and in on the V bass as i only have the one midi cable! (crap i know!)
    Do you need both the midi cables for in and out or am i doing something wrong elsewhere?
    Love the thing otherwise!!

14. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    Are you sending on the sysex window and not loading it in sysex but trying to send it from the main window? dont do that

I think you need midi out from the computer, and midi in to the v-bass.

15. dash333

dash333

Mar 7, 2005
    Will get another midi cable in the next few days so i have in and out from the V bass, then let you know how i got on!
    When i opened midiOx i opened the sysex window to try and transmit. Think i tried nearly everything (or it felt like it!)

16. dash333

dash333

Mar 7, 2005
    Will get another midi cable in the next few days so i have in and out from the V bass, then let you know how i got on!
    When i opened midiOx i opened the sysex window to try and transmit. Think i tried nearly everything (or it felt like it!)

17. Ba55Man1ac

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey Boyz.

I only have 1 MIDI cable - I switch it over depending on whether i'm sending to or receiving from the V-Bass. It's a little bit fiddly, but not a major issue.

18. dash333

dash333

Mar 7, 2005
    Well if it works with 1 midi cable, then i must be doing something wrong elsewhere.
    It could be my midi hub, although it works fine when hooked up to my keyboard.
    Will have to have another fiddle and see what happens.
    Anyway, i've only had the thing a week or two now, but i'm loving the thing!!
    Dreamed about being able to trigger loads of sounds on my bass for years, but could either not afford the stuff in the past like the cyberbass or it was just a bit **** on the triggering side.
    I bought one of those GI-20's but it just didn't work right. Some soft synths worked better than others (used it through my pc on 24bit and through an access virus), but on the whole it would skip notes, pickup wrong notes,etc.
    The V-bass is great. Top tracking and tons of different sounds. (it won't trigger midi notes i think, but don't care as i play in my stuff now and program the rest.)
    Did a bass part on a friend's tune with an upright patch against his acoustic guitar and singing. Its true what i've heard that its hasn't got the best upright sounds, but in most cases its only purists that will nit pick as the tone sounded great with a bit of EQ and compression via software.
    I think the key is to pick a patch that is round what will fit a tune then tweak to taste.
    I've also found playing synth bass is top fun again tunes that normally have a electric bass sound(worked out 'can you feel it' by M. Jackson with a synth patch and played along to the record, sounded great!)
    Its worth not going on hols this year for (**** not told the girlfriend yet...............ahem!)

19. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
  20. resonantdoghous

resonantdoghous

May 31, 2005
    I'm not sure if someone has already posted this info, so here it is.
    In order to upload system patches to the v-bass you need a midi sequencer, not windows media player or quicktime. I have a mac and I just used some generic free software which I downloaded online. On PC you can probably use cakewalk, or any other kind of simple sequencer, this should be easy to find online.
    Ok so once you have a sequencer simply turn on the v-bass, make sure the midi cable is plugged in, you only need one cable from the out of the midi box to the in on the v-bass. On the v-bass press system, then F6 [midi] and hit the right page button until the screen says waiting. Then just press play on the sequencer and the v-bass screen should say receiving. It takes about 2 minutes to play the file, and once it's done the screen will say idling. Just hit exit and you are done.
    I hope this helps, Enjoy