Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you use it?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Davidoc, Nov 11, 2002.

1. I started playing a DB in the wind ensemble at my school. (no, not just to annoy the orchestra teacher; because of ties to the band)

Anyways, I got this rosin stuff. It's pop's bass rosin, and it's in a paper cup in a plastic container.

How do I apply it to the bow? I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks alot!

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Start at the frog end of the hair and wipe to the other end. Always go the same direction. With Pops you can easily get too much on, which can get you a scatchy sound, or if you put way too much, effectively glue your bow to the strings.

You can tell if this is the case if you get big rosin-booger buildups on the string. No biggie -- just wipe the stuff off (with the flautists pony tail, preferably) and be a little less loving with the cake of goo the next time around.

Some like a lot of rosin, some very little. I usually gack-up about once a week, unless I'm working on something that requires E and A string articulations that I don't yet have the chops to make.