How do you use power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Would you need to buy a pre-amp to use a power amp? Is there anything else to get in order to use the power amp right?

I'm specifically looking at the Carvin DCM series. I've NEVER even thought about power amps/pre amps ever. I just got interested when I saw how cheap they were. 1000w for $400? This is all new to me. Help me sort this out !
  2. Yes.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    If you like the Carvin DCM1000, you could buy the RL1000 instead wich is a DCM1000 with a Bass Preamp section.
  4. I don't really NEED that much power. The 350w I have now is sometimes too much for the situation. I just wanted to have some sense when it comes to poweramps. the price appealed to me.

what would happen if you hooked up a power amp (without a pre) to a cab? Is that possible?

oh yeah, thanks.
  5. Yes

You will get the same results as an empty car with the engine idling. It won't go anywhere cuz there isn't anybody (preamp) to drive it.
  6. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    you should look into getting a tech21 sansamp bass driver. you can use that as a pre amp and because it is a stompbox it will be very portable.
  7. Actually, I asked this question before, and I was told you can use anything (Distortion pedal, BBE SM, DI, anything like that) to drive a power amp.
  8. "hypothecially speaking" if i buy a cheapo $20 pedal, it'll work, right? Does it have to be one of those dealies where you use a 9volt battery to power or can it be self powered?
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    As soon as you find a way to make something self powered let me know, I'll buy the patent from you and be the next Bill Gates.

Why do you want to use a $20 pedal and a power amp? Why don't you get a real preamp and a smaller power amp or a bass head? You need EQ and gain control and compression and all those really neat things that make you sound good. Sure, you'll have 1000 watts. But as bad as your tone is going to suck, you may wish you weren't so loud.
  10. Hypothetically speaking....i just want to get an idea of things, ya know? i'm quite a long ways away from now and the time i get a pre/power/doodads setup.

self powered...i couldn't find the word for it. you know the di boxes that don't need a battery? yeah...that's what i'm thinking of.

sorry about all these crazy questions, though.