1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how do you use your preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Mar 11, 2008.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    i was wondering how you dial your preamp sound?
    i usually set my amp flat
    and then dial in the preamp on my bass to get my sound.

2. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    I dial my initial sound on my amp and then use my pre on the bass to make small adjustments for songs and/or room, or anything else needed

3. I use my amp mainly, although it usually remains pretty flat.

Depending on the bass, sometimes add a bit of mid and or treble. Most of the time its left flat on the bass tho.

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Funnily, after i upgraded from a 2 band to a 3 band, it stays flat most of the time. The amp, too. I find i can make more adjustments to my tone from the pickup balance and the splitting of the coils. Those tone adjustments sound more natural, too.

5. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    i think it would be a different story if i had a a better amp
    like if i had an svt, id think most of my sound would come from that
    but i have a fender rumble which isnt too great.

6. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I play allot of venues around London, so I need to be able to get 'my tone' in every location through any kind of amp you wish to mention. For that reasons the amp settings are useless to me and remain flat 90% of the time.

I have a BDI21 (sansamp bass driver clone) which I set as follows:

Drive = 2 O'-Clock
    Treble = 10 O'-Clock
    Bass = 2 O'-Clock
    Presence = 3 O'-Clock
    Volume = 12 O'-Clock
    Blend = 100%

The DI is taken from this preamp into the mixing deck of the venue.

As a purist, I don't count having EQ controls on your bass a preamp unless it has transformers in it to boost the signal.

7. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    +1. Add the technique factor too and you have 99% of the sounds available.

I have said many times and I will repeat once more:

If you need the preamp to find your sound, you are holding the wrong bass

8. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    I have a 3-band EQ..but when I put my bass EQ knob on flat..like 2/3 of the volume goes away..is it supposed to be like that?

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have a basic set on my amp and bass. I generally leave my bass EQ alone so I don't mess up the FOH sound.

I make room/stage changes on my amp.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

another way to think about that is that if you run your tone controls in an extreme boost - then you are raising the volume of the frequencies that your tone controls affect.

advice ...

start flat on your bass, dial in your sound with the amp. Now you can make cut OR boost changes with the controls on your bass in a more subtle manner without dramatic swings in volume.

second piece of advice. use your EQ to cut. In general you will get a more 'organic' less processed sound this way. Want more low's, cut the mids a bit. Want more mid's, cut the lows & the hi's a smidge.

You will pretty much fail a recording technology program unless you demonstrate an understanding of that concept... it works for a mix and it works for your bass as well.

Caveat - minimal boosts are OK. We all do it. It's the real extremes that I try to avoid.

There are a boat load of approaches to EQ. The approach I outlined is a pretty traditional way of looking at EQ with an eye towards a 'natural' instrument sound. It is based on the thought that your EQ can cut more cleanly than it can boost. Not universally true, but more often than not - it is.

How do I use my on-board ?
    EQ stays flat 90 %. I work the blend control and my hand position a lot. I use the z-mode switch for a low end boost or to add hi's. I will occaisionally boost the hi's when in low z-mode for a piano bass sound. Once in a while, I cut the hi's boost he mid's just a smidge in low-z, and rock the blend 1/4 turn back for a more jaco'esque sound.

Mostly it's flat with the z-mode at neutral.

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I've been playing around with a new to me active bass this last couple of weeks. It's a 2 band Stingray SUB. No center detent on the pre so god know's what it's really doing. Sounds like crap all the way down - no real suprise there I guess. Sounds pretty good with the bass full tilt and the treble about 3/4.

Jury is out on this one. I've got it half heartedly listed in the GFS at the moment. I haven't really given it much time though and maybe that is what it really needs. No question - it's way different from the way I run my 2 Audere'd basses... maybe that's a good thing - variety being the spice of life an all...

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Recently, I've been boosting my lows and highs full, and leaving the amp flat. My preamp has become more of a tone control of sorts. I use the amp EQ to compensate for the room or to add more growl. Not like I need more growl. :D

Really my bass sounds so good right now, as does my amp that It doesn't matter what I do it sounds good.