How do you use your Sans Amp BDDI - effect or "always on"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SteveC, Jul 20, 2005.

1. SteveC

SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used to have an all solid state rig and bought a BDDI to give me some "tubeness" once in a while. I now have an Eden WT-550 head (which I love) and it has the tube pre so I find that I don't really need the BDDI any more. I use the Eden DI which I also like - although it would be nice if it had a pre/post eq for the DI but not that big a deal for me.

I have used it on occasion for that "SVT" setting when I'm playing rock. Most of my gigs are jazz or singer/songwriter type gigs so I don't need that "overdriven" tone much.

Just curious what others do with their BDDI? Is it more of an effect or a "vital" part of your sound?

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My BDDI isn't so vital, in fact I'm finding that these days I don't use it much at all. I have to admit I'm a little disenchanted with it right now. :meh:

My SansAmp GT2 that I bought for guitar, though, is vital for recording. I've got my guitar tones dialed in on that unit. I actually like using it for bass as well, since I've recently discovered a setting on it that sounds warmer and creamier than anything I can tweak out of the BDDI. I just use it when recording when I want an amp-like sound out of my fretted. With fretless, I usually just DI in clean. Also I don't use a SansAmp with my bass amp rig, they're just recording tools for me.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    When I use the BDDI, I tend to just leave it on. I use it only for classic rock. I also use it at home when running through the mixer.

Is it a vital part of my tone? No. I can, and do, live without it.

4. SteveC

SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'll probably hang on to mine for when I get a Geddy Lee jazz bass so I can work for that rockin' Geddy tone.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's my main preamp.
    Still, sometimes it's off and I just use it as a DI.

6. i threw my Sansamp out and got a Fulltone Bass-Drive and I leave my Bass-Drive on all the time for added grind
    :)

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I never use the BDDI for grind. I always keep it clean and use an OD pedal for dirt.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use both.

9. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    I used it "always on" quite a long time but i tend to like my P-bass
    "uncoloured" sound more and more. So now i use it to add grind, sustain and volume in a 3 pice band when the guitarist does solo stuff.