Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you use your Sans Amp BDDI - effect or "always on"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SteveC, Jul 20, 2005.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used to have an all solid state rig and bought a BDDI to give me some "tubeness" once in a while. I now have an Eden WT-550 head (which I love) and it has the tube pre so I find that I don't really need the BDDI any more. I use the Eden DI which I also like - although it would be nice if it had a pre/post eq for the DI but not that big a deal for me.

I have used it on occasion for that "SVT" setting when I'm playing rock. Most of my gigs are jazz or singer/songwriter type gigs so I don't need that "overdriven" tone much.

Just curious what others do with their BDDI? Is it more of an effect or a "vital" part of your sound?

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My BDDI isn't so vital, in fact I'm finding that these days I don't use it much at all. I have to admit I'm a little disenchanted with it right now. :meh:

My SansAmp GT2 that I bought for guitar, though, is vital for recording. I've got my guitar tones dialed in on that unit. I actually like using it for bass as well, since I've recently discovered a setting on it that sounds warmer and creamier than anything I can tweak out of the BDDI. I just use it when recording when I want an amp-like sound out of my fretted. With fretless, I usually just DI in clean. Also I don't use a SansAmp with my bass amp rig, they're just recording tools for me.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    When I use the BDDI, I tend to just leave it on. I use it only for classic rock. I also use it at home when running through the mixer.

Is it a vital part of my tone? No. I can, and do, live without it.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'll probably hang on to mine for when I get a Geddy Lee jazz bass so I can work for that rockin' Geddy tone.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's my main preamp.
    Still, sometimes it's off and I just use it as a DI.

6. i threw my Sansamp out and got a Fulltone Bass-Drive and I leave my Bass-Drive on all the time for added grind
    :)

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I never use the BDDI for grind. I always keep it clean and use an OD pedal for dirt.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use both.

9. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    I used it "always on" quite a long time but i tend to like my P-bass
    "uncoloured" sound more and more. So now i use it to add grind, sustain and volume in a 3 pice band when the guitarist does solo stuff.