Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do YOU usually play yer bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lazy B., Feb 26, 2004.

1. With a plectrum

7 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. With my thumb (slap 'n' pop style)

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  3. With my index finger (James Jamerson "hook" style)

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. With two fingers (conventional?)

52 vote(s)
    28.9%
  5. With three fingers (run baby run)

26 vote(s)
    14.4%
  6. More than three fingers (how d'ya do that?)

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. I mix different ways of playing my bass

88 vote(s)
    48.9%
  1. How do YOU usually play yer bass guitar?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Quite well, thank you :D

Wulf

3. Even mixture of conventional two fingered, and with my thumb (slap 'n' pop style) with a dash of chordal strumming, cos i like playing all styles all the time.

Bassis

4. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I play with two fingers all the time in my band, at home though I also slap a lot, tap a fair bit, and play a lot of chords :)!

Andy

5. Most of the time with one or two fingers, three on really fast stuff. I play lots of double-stops, which I pluck simultaneously with two fingers, and I'm trying to incorporate some tapping in my playing.

I don't like slap though, it's becoming a bit too trendy and I don't see any use for it in the music I play.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I voted for the last option.

At home, I slap, tap, play 3 or 4 fingerstyle, and use a plectrum.

At church, I play 80% fingerstyle, 19% slap and 1% tap.

With my band, it is 50% fingerstyle, 40% slap, 5% plectrum and 5% tap. The tapping is on the increase, though.

And I use doublestops and chords quite a bit, too.

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I mix different ways of playing my bass. I usually just play with two fingers, but it depends on the song.

8. Up until now, it's been mostly either two fingers, or with a pick, depending on what I'm playing. But now I'm starting to get into slapping, popping, tapping, and all that good stuff... :hyper:

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I cut a carrot lengthwise at a 30º incline, strap it to my fingers and tap the strings with it.

I call "crunch fingers"

10. :D

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've been working on playing through telekinesis....(only works if I'm drunk, though.)

12. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I voted mix.

90% fingerstyle
    10% slap

13. I usually always use my fingers (slap, pop, finger style). But I have been using a pick. It's good for fast playing, and string tone.

14. I pick it, normally dunlop tortex 1.0mm picks or fender heavys which is how i like my tone... heavy and coming from a fender :D

15. I usually just alternate between my 2 fingers and a pick.

16. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    At home I'm split about 50/50 with two fingers and slapping, but out in the real world I'm 90% fingers and 10% slap.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I change between 2 finger normal technique and slap/pop. Prob do normal 70% of the time, slap 30%.

18. Two fingers though I am trying to learn some slap and pop.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Too many polls!!! ;)

And they always lack the option I would choose!! :meh:

So - I use two fingers and thumb together, most of the time.

20. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I used to play alot of slap, but I've kind of gracefully departed from it, and now I mostly use 2 fingers and tapping. For chordal stuff, I'll either pinch my index finger and thumb together, like I'm holding a pick, or hit the strings with my fingernails... depending on how I want them to sound. Or sometimes, like Bruce, I'll use 2 fingers and my thumb.