Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you wear your bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lowner, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I adjust my strap so my bass hangs over my belly. I once saw on oldies band at a community festival where the bass player wore his bass so high that it was almost up under his neck and it looked like the neck of the bass was coming out the side of his neck. It just looked so uncomfortable I dont know how on earth he could play without cramping up. And I dont know how he could reach down low on the headstock becuase he played everything in the midddle of the neck going neither high nor low on the neck.

2. i wear mine hanging a little bit below my chest where it feels more comfortable to play it. i used to hang my bass really low but it felt weird so quit playing it like that.

3. ScottG

ScottG

Feb 2, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    I have strap locks on 2 straps. I keep one up high for when I play sitting down, and one low (bellow my belly) for standing up.

4. Bigby

Bigby

Dec 30, 2005
    I set my strap so that it matches the position of my bass when I'm sitting down practicing so there's no change when I stand up. This has made the transition from sitting to standing or vice versa seemless.

When I first started playing, my only concern was what looked the best...not too concerned about that anymore...I'd much rather have a better sound than look.

5. +1, Exactly how I wear my bass, I only cared about looks too when I got my bass too.

6. I wear mine so it hangs at about the same spot as when I'm sitting down. It's right around my stomach, a little higher.

7. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    +3, that seems to be the way to go

8. thanks for your advise. i always play sittin down. when i stand with it it just feels awkward. ill try that. thanks.

9. I guess if you were to look at where my belt buckle would be, the centre of the bass body hangs there.

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    About my belt buckle, maybe a little lower or soemthin.

I got used to it I guess, and the angle comes from playin a bit of the DB.

11. Me too. (The stomach seems to be pusing it out away from my body more these days, though...:rollno: )

Seems logical to keep it at the same position whenever and however I'm playing.

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I wear mine a little bit lower than where the bass sets in my lap when I'm sitting. I try to alternate between sitting and standing when I practice.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I actually wear mine in a somewhat low/unorthodoxed way... but I don't do it for "cool" aka Nu Metal reasons. I have my bass low because my plucking hand goes right where I want it.

I'm so use to my hand being close to the bridge... and it gets a nice clear sound... but I like the wub sound when I'm wailing on the strings, so I try to play closer to the neck... with my bass lowish, I play there instantly... so below the belt, but I don't have to pick it up off the ground.

14. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I wear it at the same level it rests at when I'm sitting with my back straight. I find my back and wrists to be most comfortable in this position. Plus, I don't want to kill my back nor develop carpal tunnel syndrome...

15. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Add me to the list for this too.

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    its around my crotchal region

17. Somewhere between my crotch and my belt buckle. No, its not intended to look cool. Its just more comfortable for me with my long arms.

18. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Yup, best place.

19. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I play with the bottom of my bass just about at my belt buckle. Which is just like a lot of people are saying, about the same position as when I'm sitting down. I find it to be quite comfortable that way.

20. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I wear mine a bit low, but not for show. The center of my bass' body falls right about the center point between my belly button and my hips, maybe a little higher. Lower, and I can't reach all the strings comfortably. Higher, and my neck cramps up, and I get horrible aches in my plucking wrist from it being too curled up.

The position most of you seem to be playing at is *agony* for me. Just kills my wrist. Lower, my fingers are in just the right place, and it feels right. I have had other players take me to task for "trying to look cool", but I'd rather take the fussing and not have the pain. ;-)

Cheire :)