1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you wear your dark stars?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mellowgerman, Sep 24, 2008.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Considering the crazy versatility of these pickups, placement can do very much for your sound. I found that just rotating them 180degrees in their cavity even makes a big difference.
    IMO they sound amazing regardless of where you put them, but how do you wear your dark star(s)?

I'll start it off with my 71 Guild:)
    it's not quite as bassy with the neck pickup flipped "upside down." I feel like it gives me a little more clarity and a lot more of that signature dark star tone!
    DSC00665.

2. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I have a 1980 T-40 with Darkstars. I prefer a deep round sound so I orient both pups with poles toward the neck.

DSCF0006-1.

Wonderfull sounding bass. Weighs a ton, but what tone!

3. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    best T-40 ever award!

4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    and for the boots too!!

5. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    This one is set up for correct Jazz Bass spacing ...

Black76.

And then there is the LeCompte VB

LeCompteVBDS2.

Last but not least my LeCompte NAMM Show special

lec-p4t4-sn60-05.

Fred Hammon (Mr Dark Star pickups) Bud LeCompte ( LeCompte basses) and I are friends ao I'm kinda addicted to LeCompte basses and Dark Star pickups ...

DSCF0007.

:smug: ... Not a bad addiction

6. Your MOJO sonic sign fits perfectly of what Dark star's are

7. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    i'd imagine it sounds like a jazz on steroids then? (guess that's kinda what it is too)

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My 'other' dream bass is a Warmoth P with a Darkstar in it. Anyone have a pic?

Also are the pole pieces adjustable in height?

9. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    they are indeed. the screws(that kinda make it look like a humbucker) are height adjustment screws for the actual poles. Also, they're extremely adjustable. like way more in either direction than you'd probably ever need them to be
    largeimage7.