1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by clash12, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. ...play a pop.

    an example...

    the p, the pop, how would you go about playing that. Is it anywhere near playing a hammer-on. I'm confusing myself, but someone here must know how to explain it.

    All i need to know is the technique.

    Any help is appreciated
  2. Wrong Robot

    Wrong Robot Guest

    Apr 8, 2002
    generally speaking, you slap with your thumb, that's just like a thump against the string with your thumb, then following a slap, you "pop" with your finger, basically it's a sharp pluck, where the string snaps back against the neck and creates a twangy staccato note.
  3. Kheos


    Aug 12, 2002
    just a matter of curling your finger beneath the string, raising it and letting it smack on the fretboard
    that's the best description i could give, and re-reading, it's just crap and easily misunderstood
  4. That cleared it up.

    Thanks again!
  5. Figjam


    Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    But in that tab that isnt a pop, thats a pull off iff im not mistaken right? cause the P for pop is usually writen below the line.
  6. I would say that, too.
  7. walewein


    Jun 13, 2003
    i think that's more of a pull-of actually