Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassQueen, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Hi, erm....well, im new to the forums and i just want to say that im looking for a new bass and ask what kind should i get? I have got a fender p-bass but ive had it for 4 years now and i want something a bit better. any suggestions? thankx alot! :)

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What do you play? That's a large determining factor. How big are you? Fretboard size and weight of the bass might be an issue if you are a smaller person. What kind of tones do you like? And, lastly, what other basses have you tried that you like?

Oh, almost forgot, one of the largest factors...what's the price range you're looking at? That'll really narrow down the feild, and thus, giving you better answers.

3. well, our band plays mostly punk rock but we sometimes play grunge as well. i can spend up to £1000, (sorry, i work in pounds!) and im 5'9'' so size isnt really an issue. Ive tried a load of other stuff, older fenders, ibanez's, tanglewood...etc...and i liked the tanglewoods the best.Thanks alot for the help, i appreciate it :)

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    musicman stingray, but i'm not sure how the conversion is. Also the fender Precision deluxe is pretty sweet. IF you could get a conversion rate that might help.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tanglewood? I'm sorry. :D

I checked...1000 pounds seems to be about 1,400 U.S. Well, beings that you seems to be England, my reccomendations kind are shot, because I dunno the prices are and what brands are available. Though, I'm sure some more knowledgable people will be along shortly.

Sorry I couldn't be of much use...

Do you get the MTD Kingstons over there? Many will attest to their quality, not to mention overall value.

6. how do lad,

right your plain and smiply going to have to get out and play some basses, frankly for a 1000 of our pounds you've got alot of options.

like Brendan said the kingston's are nice, all the MTD stuff is, in particular the Beast and the grendal, the Beast in the 5 can be picked up for around that price.

it's hard to say what you want, size really won't have any effect on the type of bass you want, also any bass can be played in any genre, it's the player who decides, look is the only factor and the vanity of the bassist.

plenty of players use high end basses for punk, it's not just limited to us jAzz n funkers/blues :)

like i said get out and play, also look at used, if you buy from high end dealers you often get some nice bargains, i.e players who are trading up to better instruments, but who have looked after what they previously had and have used it for tarde-in purposes!!

the only problem you may have with size is XL scale lengths, i have both 36" and 34" but i'm 6'7" and medium build, the thing i find most difficult is playing bass side of my TRB fretless, and i have huge hands ??

anyway, just play, we can say look at this or that but we can't decide for you, also what are you doing for amps,, like the saying goes, don't put all your egg's in one basket :)

stu (Cumbria)_

7. thanks everyone! im going shopping this weekend so i'll keep you posted if i se anything nice! much appreciated! (and by the way, tyburn, im not a guy!)

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Hi, welcome to tb. :)

I think if you like "tanglewoods" (they're called cort's here) you should just get one. :)

I suggest trying a few other brands out. Perhaps G&L, Music Man, or anything else in your price range.

I'm not sure how much Peavey's are over there, but I think a Millennium Plus or Millennium would be nice, for what you described.

They're nice and pretty punchy, but really crisp sounding (that's the only word I could think of to describe it.)

:)

Good luck with your bass search, be sure to keep us posted.

9. You guys depress me sometimes... How about an Ibanez BTB, I love mine infact I would be the paternal member to it's children if it was at all possible. There's a bizzare mental image for you all. Think of the money I could earn with the freak shows, I'd have a whole harem of basses.

:eek: :D

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

but... but... HE STARTED IT!

:(

;) :D

11. well, if he started it, you finish it! ;)
    im probs gonna be buying an ibanez but i dunno yet!
    (ps, crawling eye: im single!:D )

12. OooOooh; crawling's got a girlfriend, crawling's got a girlfriend... :p

13. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I thought you wanted something better than a Fender P-Bass.

Anyway, you have your work cut out. Get to as many shops as you can and play all you can get your hands on for as long as they will allow.

Spector, Warwick, Musicman, Zon, Yamaha, Peavey, Gibson, Pedulla, Smith, Acacia, Conklin, Wal...I could go on and on...

How about Fender?

14. i do! but im really not bothered what kind it is as long as its good. im not a trendy so what make it is doent bother me a bit. but..saying that..i quite like black and silver basses or blue and red...or maybe white.....pink would also be quite nice!

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

We'll see, only if you don't get that Ibanez! :eek: ;) :D

(sarcasm)

Anyway, back to the main topic...
    I think you should seriously try out the Peavey Millennium Plus... They're extremely good basses, and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Another suggestion...
    What about a Fender Deluxe P-bass?
    ...or... a Fender Hot Rodded P-bass?

Both are great basses, you can't really go wrong with either. I think the Hot Rodded has a better slap tone, while the Deluxe P-bass has a better finger style tone.

Oh, yeah... about those colors?

Sorry, I hope you like kids, if we're going out!

[​IMG]

;) :D

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Eww, no way! Girls have cooties! :D

*quickly sucker punches Bigfeet in the stomach and watches him double over*

:eek:

...:D ;)

18. Damn. A single chick in a punk/grunge band that has over a grand to spend on a new bass?

Oh well, she's a little too far away anyways.

American Deluxe P-Bass.

19. well, ive been shopping around and all the basses we have round here are ****ty ones! :( so its a bit dissappointing really, i might just have to wait a while to have a better look around. but, in the meantime, black rainbow have made up some GREAT new stuff! all written by us as well! we're sooo proud! heehee:D im going down to london in a week so i'll keep an eye out for the basses down there, hopefully they'll be some better stuff to look at and play!:cool:

20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You might consider going to www.google.com and doing a short search for the companies suggested, and calling, or e-mailing to find out where a dealer near you is located. :)