1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how does a 4-track recorder work

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by A Rock, Jul 20, 2001.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    hi...
    during band rehearsals we record ourselfs through a little boombox so we can go home and practice with the tapes we make.
    the tapes are kinda crappy so were thinkin of buying a 4 track recorder but none of us know how one works.
    can u guys tell me how these things work?
    thanx

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    are you interested in a cassette 4 track or a digital one? I'd be glad to get into the technicalities with you, but one question:
    do you mean 'how do you use it', or 'how does it physically get the sound on to the tape/disc"?

mark @ xush studios

3. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    sry
    i wanna kno about cassette 4 track recorders and
    i meant how do you use one

4. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    so basically...we each record seperately and it ends up being together once we all record?
    and then u copy that tape with all the tracks into a normal tape in a boombox?\
    tell me if im getting this or not

and for the drums...can i take like 3 mics and stick them to the PA system and then take one line out from the PA and use it as one track but with 3 mics?

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Basically yes.

You either record one track at a time or several simulaneously.
    Of course you can mix several signals (e.g. drums) into one with a mixer and record it on one of the tracks

Remember that each time you bounce tracks or export a multitrack recording onto a master tape or cassette you loose some signal quality, as with all analog recording.