Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how does a 4-track recorder work

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by A Rock, Jul 20, 2001.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    hi...
    during band rehearsals we record ourselfs through a little boombox so we can go home and practice with the tapes we make.
    the tapes are kinda crappy so were thinkin of buying a 4 track recorder but none of us know how one works.
    can u guys tell me how these things work?
    thanx

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    are you interested in a cassette 4 track or a digital one? I'd be glad to get into the technicalities with you, but one question:
    do you mean 'how do you use it', or 'how does it physically get the sound on to the tape/disc"?

mark @ xush studios

3. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    sry
    i wanna kno about cassette 4 track recorders and
    i meant how do you use one

4. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    so basically...we each record seperately and it ends up being together once we all record?
    and then u copy that tape with all the tracks into a normal tape in a boombox?\
    tell me if im getting this or not

and for the drums...can i take like 3 mics and stick them to the PA system and then take one line out from the PA and use it as one track but with 3 mics?

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Basically yes.

You either record one track at a time or several simulaneously.
    Of course you can mix several signals (e.g. drums) into one with a mixer and record it on one of the tracks

Remember that each time you bounce tracks or export a multitrack recording onto a master tape or cassette you loose some signal quality, as with all analog recording.