1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How does a 97 Rickenbacker 4003 compare to the newer ones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilikeindie, May 21, 2012.

1. ilikeindie

ilikeindie

Feb 15, 2008
    Florida
    Hey guys, been awhile since I posted..

I was just offered a 1997 Mapleglo (exact finish i want) Rickenbacker 4003 for $1200. While I don't exactly have the money & I'd have to sell my All custom MIA P-bass (which would break my heart to, I put so much work into it)..

Rickenbackers are my dream basses. After playing a 4003 a fews year ago, I was absolutely hooked with the style, sound, and playability.

But my question was, how do they compare to then newer 4003s? I know they probably don't have that vintage switch or whatever, but hows the neck compare, or the finish? etc. etc.

Thanks.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    1997 was a good year for Ricks. 1997 was the first year that the 4003 went back to a more 60s shape on the headstock and body wings. Also the neck inlays got a little better looking. The pickups will be 11k ohms and the pots will be all 250k ohms.

I do like the 2010, 2011 4003 basses a little better.

The one you are looking at should be fine and that is a fair price.

The new ones have 330k ohm pots, the vintage tone circuit, and full width inlays. Also the necks on the new ones is a slimmer D profile.

3. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've passively watched Ric classifieds for years now, and $1200 is a fair price indeed. The average asking price I see is around $1400, so I'd expect $1200 to be a good deal, esp. if you can talk him down some. I'm holding out for a $1k deal, which as I said has been years in the waiting.