1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HOw does a middle-aged beginner bassist find a band to play with?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MakoMan, Jan 13, 2012.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Been playing bass for about 4 months now and would love to hook up with some other musicians to form or join a band but so far no luck.
    Believe me, I have tried... searching and answering classifieds, posting my own classifieds, asking a music stores, though my bass instructor. There just doesn't seem to be anyone who wants a 52-year-old bass player unless they have a ton of experience.
    I've read often that the key to getting better is to play with other musicians, but how the heck does one get started doing that?
    In my case it certainly hurts a bit that I live in a small town, but I do live halfway between Ottawa and Montreal and don't mind travelling for a jam. Even with two larger cities that close thus far no luck.
    If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

2. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I had trouble when I started looking for a band. Eventually I posted an advert saying I was a noob, and wanted to find other noobs just to practice with - eventually found some guys to jam with, no gigs, no commitments, just for fun and to improve.

We've been together for over 2 years now and have been gigging for a year :) so just keep plugging away, you'll get lucky like I did!

3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    craigslist and local musicians-connect websites, if any.

4. Contact drum, piano, and guitar teachers in your area. Tell them a little about yourself and ask if they have any ideas or perhaps some of their students may be interested in hooking up with you. Don't be picky. If the kid is only 18 but he's good and willing to jam, go for it.

Also, churches are sometimes a good place to meet other musicians and do some praise music, if you're cool with that. You don't have to join the main praise band, but maybe some of the other members of the congregation might be interested in starting something up.

5. Over there it may be different but over HERE thats almost all you can find sadly...

6. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    As much as I hate it, in your situation open mics is worth a try.

What made you want to take up bass guitar?

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    offer pizza & beer!

seriously, people want perks. i started my own band by renting a space, buying all the instruments, amps, & P.A.,... and people showed up and i took the cream of the crop and even had reserves! i eventually recovered my investment from the gigs we played.

even my then gf was able to form her own band using my space and gear! gl

8. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Not sure I am quite ready for an open mic night yet.
    Actually one of the reasons I took up bass is I play mandolin, but don't particularly enjoy playing Celtic or Bluegrass music. The bass seemed a bit more versatile.

9. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    That's a good suggestion. Unfortunately I don't think a trip to church is in my near term future.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Yes, taking bass lessons from a local veteran is a really good idea.

First of all taking lessons is all good, plus your teacher can Gage when your ready for the next step.

11. D1on

D1on

Apr 13, 2011
    Chicks of course:cool:

so you're new to bass but not playing, just keep plugging away.
    The open jam thing can't hurt if nothing else go listen and see if any of them want to get together.

12. Connections through jams and other live situations. If people know how you play, it's easier. Also, something I had to learn the hard way is to become more 'American' by just taking initiatives and shrug off if someone says no.

13. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    Are you familiar with Kijiji ? Have you placed an ad in the "musical instruments" heading of Kijiji ?

Free Kijiji Canada Classifieds | Free Ads | Petites Annonces Gratuites

Kijiji ( pronounced Ka gee gee ) is a free ad site run in Canada by E-Bay . I am in the Windsor Ontario area . I buy almost everything used and almost all of my gear has come from Kijiji and I have seen ads there for wanted musicians listed in the heading "musical instruments". There is also a section for "artists,muscians" listed under the heading "Community" and a heading named as "services" which has "music lessons" and "entertainment" listed .

14. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Ditto. I have exactly the same problem. Right now I'm going to jam with my nephew until something comes up. Its hard to play with strangers when you're a relative noob and the confidence is low.

15. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    You seem yo be in a common boat for musicians. Even for the guys who are in a band now, 99% of the time they were in your shoes too. Ive been waiting for years for a good solid band (outside of church) and finally I was asked to be a studio musician. It's not a band but its a paying 'gig' and I enjoy it.

Just have patience and keep practicing!

16. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    Here's another idea : Go to the local University and post an ad on the billboards in the Music school and the Art school . Lots of artists are muscians too. Mention in the ad you are new at it and you just want to jam with someone for fun. You should mention your age too. Maybe also post ads in the Student centre. You may have to get permission to post or maybe not depending on how uptight the individual school is . At our University some departments require permission to post things while other departments don't .

17. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, I placed a Kijiji Ad. I got one response from a local guitarist my age and I did hook up with him for a practice session. He really liked my playing and singing and definitely wanted me to join the band he was forming. Unfortunately he was a bit delusional and VERY into heavy metal. I passed.
    That's so far the only response I received to my ad.

This is my ad BTW:
    http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-community...-to-jam-in-Hawkesbury-area-W0QQAdIdZ341224447

18. worshiprocker

worshiprocker Tonepump Junkie

Aug 12, 2011
    Mesa, Arizona
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    are there any blues jams in your area... that would be a cool place to go and hang out and work you way in. Normally those cats are welcoming of new players, those nights are all about fun!

19. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Yeah, this is off topic, but I am amazed at how long some guys are willing to stay in "in between bands or opportunity" status.

I was lucky and found the right band in less than 2 months.

My guitarist friend is in between bands and while he's great he's very particular on what he will play. He's 6 months into being bandless and no auditions. Keep in mind he won't play covers and there are limited opportunities for rock guitarist here.

20. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Oh I'm playing... or at least practicing. Take lessons once a week and play/practice at least an hour or two every evening. Usually play along with a drum machine or to a record. Also do a lot of 12 bar blues practice etc.