1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How does a mint guard look on a Lake PLacid Blue body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Campbell, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    LPB 50's Classic Vibe Squier single coil P bass, I switched the neck out for a rosewood Mike Dirnt, bought that here on Talkbass a couple of years ago. Looks much better!

I'd like to switch out the single ply pickguard, originally thought about parchment, but I can't help but wonder about mint.

How would it look?

2. Most of the mint guards I have seen or purchased are very subdued, you hardly notice it until you compare it to a white one side by side. If you look at photos of some on ebay they are much more green than they really are. I have one on my sonic blue pbass and it looks great. I would think it would look fine on a Lake Placid blue bass.

birminghambass and jamro217 like this.
  3. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    I think that's the best color combination - Sonic and mint, especially with rosewood board.

Yes, I'm inclined to think it will look ok on the LPB.
    I was considering Pickguardian, unless anyone here has any other decent suggestions?

4. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    It would look great.

jamro217 and fakeneckplate'65 like this.
  5. That bass is supposed to have a single ply PG. I would not do it. White or black single ply is the way to go. And for those that don't know, that bass has a Tele/50's P style all maple neck/board. But the bass is a very good replica of a mid 50's P so do whatev.

6. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    Well the whole bass is pretty much modified, the first thing I did was replace the stock pickup with a Seymour Duncan with the fat pole pieces (Basslines?), it was a very popular mod several years ago.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  7. Sounds like little girl's bedroom/kid's toys colors to me, sorry.

8. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    I think it looks great:

3b1dc51e005edaa2f375ac3bb7033e6b.

murphy and waynobass like this.
  9. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    0115800302_gtr_cntbdyright_001_nr.
    Looks great on my Fender American Special Telecaster.

Mechanical likes this.
  10. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    I like Linux Mint.

For the pickguard, a little bit stronger green, or something else like a differing shade of blue, or a purple.

wizerd and mikeyjm2 like this.
  11. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Florida
    Sonic blue...yes. LPB...no.

Just my humble opinion.

12. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Classic combo, by my reckoning:)

13. jsr914

jsr914 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Southern California
    Here is my 1965 P Bass during restoration when I was trying to make the same decision. I didn't like the mint at all. The parchment looked much better. MintGreennatural.JPG Parchmentnatural.JPG Just one man's opinion, obviously.

RBrownBass and petch like this.
  14. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    Agreed. I'd never seen the sonic blue body/mint green guard before seeing the new Fender AVRI '63 P-Basses sporting that combo and dug it from the git-go so when I saw a nice dark mint P guard on eBay for $15/shipped/PayPal'd, I grabbed it to put on my killer tricked out sonic blue Squier Classic Vibe P-Bass which now looks cooler than a penguin's basement and is "as surf as surf gets", IMHO. I recommend getting a dark mint guard as the lighter ones tend to look almost white. I have a 2013 (IIRC) Fender American Standard P with their uber cool, but short lived jade metallic finish (which is greenish) and it came with a light mint guard which looks more or less white unless it is compared side by side with a pickguard that is actually white.

15. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Amazing. I have one on my sonic blue bass and love it.

16. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    You are probably a burst guy

17. jamro217

jamro217

Apr 12, 2013
    I think white pearl is the best for Lake Placid Blue or Candy Apple Red finishes.

edencab likes this.
  18. Guilty as charged.

19. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    Sorry, man...... Just look at my Avatar. Pretty much says it all for me........... but I do think the lighter mint is pretty cool. Darker mint? Well, I'd have to agree with Salicete's comment, lol.

20. Snibborwocky

Snibborwocky

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    I love the look of mint on LPB on mine. I've swapped back and forth from black to anodized gold to mint and I always go back to the mint. It's just the most classic look to me.