1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How does a P bass with P/J pup configuration sound compared with a Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LotusCarsLtd52, Apr 18, 2010.

1. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    I was wondering how having the P/J pup combo sounds compared to the Jazz bass' J/J pup configuration, assuming that both have Alder bodies with volume/volume/tone controls.

2. Mine had a P Bass tone with some extra high-end definition.

3. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Basically , what he said. A Pbass with a little extra bite.

4. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    Not as bright as a Jazz bass? That's the only tone I'm truly familiar with. Any soundclips?

5. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    A tighter,more "compressed" sound. Check out Victor Wooten(pj), then Marcus Miller (jj).

6. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    The only P bass sound I am familiar with is that of Billy Corgan/D'Arcy Wretsky and James Gardiner (Gary Numan)...would these sounds accurately describe the P/J P bass sound?

The big sound I'm interested in is the Gary Numan P bass tone on Replicas and The Pleasure Principle.

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I would agree with this as well. It's more this than the other (i.e. a "warmer" or "deeper" Jazz). I added a bridge J pickup to my 78 P years ago and while I get a lot of compliments on the sound, no one has (or would) ever mistake it for a Jazz.

8. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

How does just the P in a P/J compare to the P in a P only instrument with all else being the same? Does that J, even though it's not on, have any affect on the sound?

9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    no. Unless you have super-human ears. Put the bass in a mix and you'll never tell the difference. In fact, put a P-bass in a mix and a J-bass in a mix with the J on the front pickup and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

10. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    I wouldn't use that comparison.VW pickups are not what would be standard PJ Tone. Most Fender styled PJ sets are quite aggressive sounding. Check Doug Johns...Even though its a Pedulla its definitely there! It's two ways of looking at the tone. 1) A p bass with more bite or brightness,or 2) a Jazz tone with a fatter low end. You still get a bit of the J burp, although not much.

It should be appreciated for it's own tone. Try to remove the thought's of any other instrument when you try one. Listen to the tone and try to think of how you can apply that tone to your musical pallet. Play with it. I actually own 2 instruments with that config and they sound totally different, but equally hot!

11. P/J Pup config sounds like a J bass on steroids...

12. +1 More like a P+ than a traditional 60's J.