1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how does a single coil p bass sit in the mix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mattrill, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Mattrill

Mattrill facebook.com/dayshazy

Feb 20, 2015
    London
    Yo guys,

love the 50's single coil p bass and just wondering how they sit in the mix?

cheers

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Pretty good.

comatosedragon likes this.
  3. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Versus split coil pickup, I do notice it doesn't bring the same authority in upper registers. EQ fiddling, which I don't like to do a lot, could be the charm. Thoughts?

4. Mattrill

Mattrill facebook.com/dayshazy

Feb 20, 2015
    London
    I've only ever played jazz basses and when i see stings beaten up single coil p, i have to have one!!

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
  6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

In the mid-late 70's I played a 64 P with Rotosounds into an SVT. When I needed to refret it, I found a 68 Tele bass. I strung it with Rotosounds.

My hard rock band was loud and my P bass cut through nicely. My Jazz bass cut through. My Ripper didn't...it just got lost.

The Tele bass punched as well as my P. The placement of the pickup made up for the low end punch that might have been missing if it were closer to the bridge.

It sat well in the mix. It actually was very close to the P.

7. Dusty Hill seems to be doing OK with his.

comatosedragon likes this.