How does a speaker blow when you're not playing??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davepack, Dec 7, 2004.

1. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Here's the deal:
    I'm running a Genz-Benz GBE-600 into an Accugroove El Whappo. The amp's pushing 425 watts @ 4 ohms, the cabinet can handle 800. I'm always careful not to let the amp clip as this can cause speaker damage.
    Practice on Thursday was fine. No problems. At a gig on Saturday, as soon as I plugged in and started tuning, the 12" speaker started farting at me.
    Here's my question:
    What could have caused the speaker to blow?? Nothing was changed between Thursday and Saturday, except me LOWERING the volume for stage monitoring vs. practice. No loud pops, no clipping, I've never pushed it too hard...does anyone have any idea what may have happened, or has anyone had a similar experience??
  2. Check the speaker cable, instrument cable, and all of the connectors, and jacks. A loose or intermittent connection will mess with you big time. I completely disassembled a 2x15 cab once, only to find a dirty EQ pot was the culprit. Check the speaker cable first, if it is shorted out inside, most amps are not happy with a 0 ohm load. Both your amp and your cab are usually well respected for reliability, so it is probably something simple.

Good luck, John
  3. davepack

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Well, I originally thought it may be a problem you mentioned, but it's only the 12" speaker that's farting out, the 15 and 6 are fine. Wouldn't the problems you stated cause ALL the speakers to sound like crap??
    Tomorrow I'll try the cab with a different head, and the head with a different cab. Hopefully that will help me isolate the problem.
    In the mean time, anyone else have any ideas of what I should be looking into??
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    How new is the cab? Sometimes there are small manufacturing defects in the particular speaker itself whereby the voicecoil is slightly misaligned, and later when it gets knocked around a bit, it becomes sonically apparent. This happened to me with a brand new high-end cab right out of the shipping box once.
  5. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Maybe a defect in the crossover?
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Being a mechanical device, it is possible for a speaker to be damaged when it is transported. Normally this shouldn't happen, but it is possible.

Along with checking your cables and other gear, I would also check any batteries used in any of your basses and foot pedals. It never hurts to double check and verify that the problem is where you think it is.
  7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Uh...did anyone have access to the amp/cab between the practice & gig? Any chance they thought "Let's see what it sounds like on 10?" & gave it a shot?
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i wouldnt rule out the speaker cable just because only the 12 was buzzing. ditto for instrument cable and batteries. It could be that the particular frequency that ws buzzing the most was mainly being reproduced by the 12. That and the dude's suggestion seem to be the most plausible.
  9. davepack

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    The cab is pretty new...about a month.

Thanks for everyone's feedback...I'll do a little more investigating to make sure it really is the speaker.