1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How does an Acme Low II compare to an Acme 1x10 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lobaw, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Hey folks, I'm thinking about trading one of my Acme Low BII cabs for 2 Acme 1x10 cabs, but wanted to know if anyone has compared a single BII with 2 1x10 cabs. Specifically, I want know if 2 1x110's will sound like or approximate the sound and volume output of a single 2x10 cab.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Should sound essentially identical due to volume per driver and tuning frequency the same and crossover padded to balance woofer/mid/tweeter output. Quite a few people here have compared them, jokerjkny and tombowlus come to mind, if you want to search on them.

Alex

3. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks Alex. I was actually looking through the Tom Bowlus threads and didn't see anything along these lines. So, I posted this thread. I'll keep looking.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Assuming you have a 4 ohm B210, then 2 8ohm B110's will sound virtually identical IME. This is not true with other manufacturers (e.g., two Epi110UL's won't put out near as much low end and volume as a single 210UL IME, due to the different cabinet volumes, tuning, etc.). However, the 110 Acme really does sound just like the B210... just softer.

That, again, is assuming you match the total nominal impedance of the 210 that you are used to with the 2x110's.

Edit: The doubling of the mid drivers and tweeters does not seem to make much difference. I believe Andy attenuates the mids and tweeters in the 110's so that they 'automatically' balance to the single woofer versus the double woofers in the 210 at the same attenuator settings. So, it's not that you get 'twice the mids and treble' from the 2x110's.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, they are very, very similar sounding. As I recall, if I were to try and differentiate, I'd say the two Low B-1's were, perhaps, a tad bit more 'open' sounding, and the single Low B-2 was a tad bit more 'focused' sounding, but this is going on recollection only (as I have sold all of my Acme cabs), and should be taken with giant grains of salt. And again, any difference would be more subtle than significant.

Tom.

6. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the help folks. Boy this felt like going to the doctor and being told exactly what I wanted to hear. That aside, I have two 4 ohm 2x10 cabs. So the idea is to unload one and get two 8 ohm 1x10 cabs and run on them other channel in a loud(er) situation.