how does bug spray kill insects?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by remo, Nov 1, 2005.

1. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I've been trawling the net trying to find out exactly how fly spray kills flies.. Can't find an answer anywhere... anyone know?
  2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Probably M's with their nervous system..You can check the ingredients on the can or request an MSDS from the manufacturer, that'll tell you what all those poison chemicals
    exactly do.

3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    All I know is that right before they they realize they're being poisoned, they like to yell out in unison "RAAAAAID?!!"

brad cook
  4. They usually really on something along the lines of an acetylecholine cascade, thats why they siezure, due to the relatively small "lung" like area, it is taken up rather rapidly, especially seeing as most insects dont actually have lungs, rather a series of tunnels between thier innerds and the exterior world that provide a direct airflow to places needing oxygen, thats why it kicks thier asses soo bad :p

Wow, i actually kinda know something, damn it
  5. I believe it clogs the pores that they breath through, thus suffocating them.
  6. Oh.
  7. remo

Jan 15, 2005

I had a feeling it was along those lines, thanks. I still think it's amazing even when you spray it in the air and they gety the smallest whiff of it it owns them so bad.. sure a direct hit kills much faster but it seems one or two mist droplets will still kill em.. crazy stuff.
  8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    :D :D :D
  9. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    really interesting.. could you elaborate on this please.. I googled it but didn't find a straight answer..
  10. Im not sure if that is what happens, it just seems right, by the way they react.

The way the nervous system works at its termainals is by releasing acetyle choline from the neurone (transmitter) to a reciever, it is released through vesicles, which are produced at a steady rate, toxins can cause the acetyle choline to be blocked (so the signal will stop, commonly seen as paralysis), you get others that cause a cascade, this means all the vesicles will be released at once (causes massed uncontrolled siezuring) and then there will be no more vesicles left, and well, that means death :p

Ill look out some of my notes from last year, images make this much easier to understand

The reason i dont think it just blocks the pores is because if it did they would probably just drop out of the sky just like that, kind of like what happens if you suffocate someone (ie they dont have a random mental siezure :p)
  11. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    brake cleaning spray works too

My assumption is... most things that kills us will kill them... we just need more of it...

On a side note (even though whole post is a side note) i got bugs stoned one day... it was fun...
  12. I usually just spray the heck out of them and they drown! :D

(Go through a lot of cans of spray that way, though.... :scowl: )
  13. Yup that'll pretty much always work!

And ive seen that happen, i could have sworn that fly said "hey dude, pass that fattie"
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

One of these days PITA will get us:(
  15. Anyways, information (ACh = Acetylecholine)

Here is a Synapse (transmitter/reciever setup at the end of a neuron)

Here's very basically how a synapse works

And here's what i was calling a Acetylecholine cascade (It isnt called it on that slide, but we got told to call it that later in the course)

Sorry for the picture size, but, do you guys get the idea (The example shown is what happens if you are bitten by a Blackwidow as it says, but similar happens in other circumstances)
  16. Doubt it, bunch of hippies that they are :bag:
  17. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Probebly reason eating meat is still legal... they are too lazy/stoned to do anything about it... And what we see on tv is nothing but their little acid trips.
  18. From a reliable source of information:

19. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

i love that site:)