1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How does damage effect the value of a bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm not sure where to post this.

I have a bass - A Geddy Lee Jazz and I'm sure I could quite easily put a value on it if I decided to sell it... except, it has a nasty ding or two (or three) in the back of the neck. I know it's something most players would notice and nobody is going to like it - at best, maybe somebody wouldn't be that bothered by it and could live with it, I'm sure it would be a deal breaker for some other people.

If I want to be honest about things how much would I knock off my asking price? Should I just repair it and ask my full asking price if I decide to sell it?

I would bet that many other people out there would just sell it online and never give a second thought to it, and wouldn't mention unless maybe somebody asked... I don't want to be that guy. Am I fool? Should I just sell it online and let the buyer beware?

Is there any way to determine how much a dented neck decreases the value?

2. take it to a local music store and ask them what they would give you for it. then add like 20% to that number and thats probably about what u would get selling it outright.

3. :bag: If it were 20 years older you have successfully increased your value.

Just take photos of the dings and sell it for what you think is right. I don't care much about dings or dents as long as it plays and sounds nice.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Negatively.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Wonderfully useful Chris, thanks. That's why I always ask teenagers first for advice, so that I may enjoy your wit.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Oh, don't wave that limp wrist at me. :rolleyes:

7. Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon

Feb 12, 2007
    Missouri
    Just say that Geddy himself played the bass and come up with a story about how HE dented the neck. I think it would definitely increase the value. :D :bag:

Oh, and I'm not a teenager, at least not chronologically. :hyper: :p