Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does Ed Roman treat his employees?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Nov 30, 2004.

1. I've heard about how he treats customers and his rants about competitors's products, so I can't help wondering what it must be like to work for this guy?!!

I would never buy anything from him, he's way outside of my comfort zone. But I have read reviews of his guitars on Harmony Central and some people like his instruments and some speak highly of his staff, even if they don't care for him. How does he attract good people?

Another reason i wouldn't purchase one of his Lowrider models is that I haven't heard anything, good or bad, about them (other than on his website). Has anyone here played one?

If you have any Ed stories, bring 'em on!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Release the hounds!

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Woohoo! Got my folding chair and cooler of beer handy for just such an occasion. Let the festivities commence.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I don't think he could possibly treat his employees any worse than GC...

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I do not know any of his employee's,but I can tell you, Ed went way out of his way to help me get a set of tuners
    a few years ago. I was on the road and playing a small club
    I put the headstock of one of my Basses into the cieling fan
    while taking it off during souncheck. I called ed and he tracked
    down a set of Grover's for me and sent them to me on the road overnight Fed-x.He is a great guy. :)

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have heard many a horror stories about him......lemme pull out my lawn chair and a case of beer....

:D

there's bound to be some new stories...

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you beat me to it!!!

;)

8. I spent enough time in his place last year when I was in Las Vegas to see how the place worked. He had 3 employees in the showroom and the bass salesman was the one I spoke to the most. He was NOT a bassist - he was a drummer but was very nice albeit somewhat ignorant of the stock. He was very careful not to let me touch anything - out of fear of Ed. The rest of the staff that I came in contact with were friendly and relaxed. They were quick to offer me a drink and spoke easily with me. From that, I can't imagine that things are too bad there for the front line employees. They just didn't act like they were under a lot of duress.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think it is folly to think that any of Ed's employees would post here. If Ed found out he'd probably skin them alive, and eat their children.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    How does GC treat his employees? And how do they know that they work for Ed Roman?

brad cook

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    All I know is that they like to feed those Christians to the lions.

Oh wait..that's THE romans.

brad cook

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :D

13. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I wandered in there in june 2003, i didnt realize who the shop owner was until i read about it here.
    It was laid out really well, his showroom had a motherlode of guitars it was pretty easy on the eyes.

His employees seemed in good spirits though kinda bored. One of them showed me the bass room and i got to try out some MTD's, He had some pretty nice basses there. (Though i would say 75% guitars 25% basses) Still quite a bit.

One thing i did hear was some loud phone conversation from an office, i guess that was Ed Roman....

Still, Having no GC sales people hassle me was kinda nice. At least i got to try stuff out in peace.