1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How does epi vintage pro thunderbird compare to vintage Gibson tbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bunky, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    Build Quality and tone wise?

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    The vintage Pro Thunderbird compares very well to a 63-65. The VP is a bit more aggressive sounding(remids me of my nonreverse Thunderbirds). In some ways it is built better, the neck takes round wounds better, the bridge has more travel to set the intonation properly.
    It isn't a exact copy, the geometry is altered a bit for better access to the upper register, the scale length is a exact 34" originals were 34 3/8", body wings are not tapered, radius on the body edge is larger, fake mother of pearl dots, turners are not reverse and the VP has a poly finish.
    The originals used Honduran mahogany, the Vintage Pro does not.
    Despite these differences the VP delivers a great Thunderbird experience, it sounds and feels like a 60's bird, imho the best Thunderbird built since the 60's and in some ways better than the originals. I love them so much I bought three, that should tell you something.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020