Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does Fieldy get his tones??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ric, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fieldy's bass tones are really unique.
    Yet I can't figure out how he makes 'em.
    Somebody tell me please~^^

2. Tune down til the strings are about to fall off they are so loose. Tighten it up a few turns. Slap with distortion. Voila, FiElDy.

P.S. Fieldy is not very respected around here, and as unique as his sound is, he is without talent IMO.
    I think his bass sounds like ass, and recommend some artists who actually play the bass like it is supposed to sound. Jaco Pastorius, Stu Hamm, Victor Wooten, Geddy Lee, Lemmy Kilmeister (sp?), hell even Flea.

I'm not trying to sound like a jackass here, this is just my opinion.

by the way, Welcome to Talkbass! :D You will find some great info here and most everyone is really cool.

puts on flame proof armour and watches the anarchy unfold in the thread.

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    to sound like fieldy, boost your lowest lows and your highest highs... cut everything else

your graphic EQ can look like this -_______-

keep in mind that a lot of what you hear is fret rattle also, and that he plays a 6 string, or 7, i duno...

oh.. and chaos.. i just got back from seeing gwar, rad show.

4. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    A nicer way of what Chaos said is lack of mids, tunning down a step on a 5 string, killing all mids on your bass, pre-amp, use of tens, boosting lows and extream highs, killing mids...Did I mention killing mids? Feildy isnt a good subject here, it allways turns into a Feildy hate post.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Key: Mike the tweeter of the amp and blend it into the bass signal. That's where the clicking comes from.

6. Falsehood, I'm seeing them tonight! I can't wait.

Ric, sorry for the extreme sarcasm, I meant nothing by it, other than I'm not a Fieldy fan.

7. Yeah, welcome Ric.

Becareful with the people who tell you how the bass is 'supposed' to sound and how you're 'supposed' to play. :rolleyes:

8. Ric asked...

Fieldy's bass tones are really unique.
    Yet I can't figure out how he makes 'em.
    Somebody tell me please~^^

He plays with his feet.

9. its quite simple to get his sound: take off all the strings of you bass, and thrash them upon the ground like an enraged baboon!

Its as simple as that. That fieldy, what a guy!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. hoe to get fieldys tone:

step 1-sell your bass

step 2-eat lots of beans

step 3-buy a microphone

step 4-stick it in your ass

11. Close!

Here is how to do it!

1. Go buy the ugliest most awful sounding Ibeenhad that you can find.

2. Detune it to some inaudible level that scares the s*** out of your dog.

3. Boost the highs and lows 200% and cut the mids 200%.

4. Put on yer Pumas, you are about to ROCK OUT!

5. PLAY WITH A CLOSED FIST. *

*make sure to never practice, who has time when you're shopping for pumas and gangster clothes? oh, and NEVER play above A on your E string (or whatever you have now detuned it to) <---- this doesn't really matter anyway! There are no distinguishable notes heard in "clickity clack!".

No, nobody here really cares for Fieldy.

But YOU are welcome here, RIC!

~Ad

12. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Fieldy gets his sound by ONLY miking the horn. He doesn't mike any other speakers, JUST the horn. Combine that with some mid-cut EQing, and you've got it.

13. No, Fieldy gets a lot of bass still. He may mic the horn, but it's not the only thing he mics. He probably runs direct as well.

But I bet Fieldy doesn't even know what the sound guys do to get "his" sound.

~Ad

14. FearOfGodX

FearOfGodX

Nov 8, 2001
    What does that mean? Mic the horns and stuff? We want to know about Fieldy, we are obviously new here. Can I do that on a BX100 my turdy little amp?

15. You all seem to really hate fieldy, if you don't mind could you direct me to a soundclip that may support your opinions? Not that I don't believe you I am just totally ignorant in this area.

16. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Was that necessery? :confused:

17. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I've spent time researching this; in an article I read about Fieldy he said specifically that he only mikes his horns.

"The clicking sound is the horn in the 10's," Fieldy notes. "We don`t even mike the speakers; we just put that mike right in the middle of the horn."

18. In his article with BP he also talked about how important it is to practice if you want to get tight, etc.

Then he went on to talk about how he feels you don't need to practice much at all.

He is a walking vault of contradictions.

If he did nothing but mic the horn then he would get no low end. He would actually sound worse then he already does. Since his recordings have a lot of low end as well, I imagine that either another speaker is miked or he is running direct as well.
    Like I said, I doubt if even Fieldy knows what the sound guys are doing. He doesn't act like he has the first clue when it comes to bass.

~Ad

19. Have you heard any of his solo work? That is the best stuff to listen to if you want to lose all respect for him. There was a thread here not too long ago with a link to the mp3. Do a search here and you might find it, or search mp3.com. I think it was called Fieldy's Dream, but I could be wrong.

But, I warned you.

Edit: After a quick search I found this link.
    My go this is horrible, but here ya go.
    http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/Fi...ome_full_28.asx

20. I just found the funniest sight on the web (funny in a pathetic way). I just found fieldy's website. And yes, you can revel in the fact that he cannot play

there are mp3s on the site of songs off his solo album to prove that and more.

He was stupid enough to release a music video. About.....can anyone guess......

smokin weed. what a very small suprise for a very small person.

well, here's the link, enjoy
    http://www.fieldysdreams.net/

for the love of god, the place starts out in fieldy's "weed room". This guy is such a joke.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.