Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Does Graphite Tonally Compare to Maple?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by xsogol, Mar 13, 2006.

1. To be more specific, how would a fretted graphite Status Jazz Bass neck compare tonally to a fretted maple Jazz Bass neck with a maple fingerboard? Is graphite that much harsher than maple? Thank you in advance! :D

2. Bump.

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    i have a zon sonus. the bass is noticibly zingy - a lot of highs - but im not sure how much is due to the neck or the composite fretboard. and i cant to A/B this, sonuses dont come in wood neck form.

4. "Harsher" can easily be EQed in or out of your desired sound. The maple board will sound much more compressed. With the continual hassles of having to tweak the truss rod on a wooden neck, I have always found that's its just not worth it UNLESS you are playing a particular genre of music that LIVES and DIES by the wooden sound and aesthetic. :)

Tone-wise, you will get a much more ALIVE, RESPONSIVE, and BALANCED output out of each of the strings when you go with a graphite neck.

5. Here's another dumb couple of questions....

Do blues and piano-based jazz/rock live and die by the wood neck/fingerboard sound? I can't really hear all that much "woody" sound coming from my high-gloss coated maple/maple neck...I can't imagine the graphite being that much different (although I'd really love to try a graphite-necked jbass before I do it myself...I'm just not sure where I can find one).

Will the graphite allow me to coax more or less growl out of my bass (strung with nickle rounds with 70s bridge pickup placement and a BAII bridge)? Thanks a ton for the info, Jay and ehque!

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Depends on what the neck is made of and how it is made. :p
    (Factors like neck material, # of laminates, grain orientation, flat- or quartersawn, neck reinforcements, trussrod, etc)
    I only had to tweak the trussrods at the initial setup and after different string types, so I don't think it's a continual hassle. Then again, I don't have any Fenders, either.

7. man, i HAD a Zon that i sold, and wish i hadn't. but it (along with a couple of other hi-end axes) went to fund my upright. it was hands down the best fretted bass i've ever heard. i will definitely get another someday. and i've also had several maple/maple neck basses, which i completely prefer over the rosewood fingerboards etc.

as far as tone, the graphite is definitely not too harsh. i don't think it's as harsh as maple. it most certainly is bright, but not too bright. there really is a difference in sound but it's hard to explain. i think the maple combo sounds a little hollow in comparison. which is great for that old schoool rootsy sound. the graphite just kills in my opinion. some call it sterile, but i'd say focused. it brings a tightness to the sound, with incredible definition. especially in the lows.

i think the graphite totally has a better sound quality. if you can swing it, that's the way to go.

8. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    where can i get one? and how much are they. as seen in other threads, i'm looking to build a bass of my own, and i think a CF neck would be most excellent.

9. I'm seriously considering a Status Graphite jazz neck. Moses Graphite is another option, but I've read too many bad things on these threads and I've, conversely, heard many great things about Status. I know Modulus made replacement necks too, but I'm not sure if they still do.

10. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    the status look really nice. and the price isn't too bad, either. around 400.

11. Go Status for sure. Trust me!! ;)