how does he do it?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kearney, Nov 5, 2004.

1. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    how does entwistle inprovise so well? jeez man, hes soo good, im realizing i wanna learn to play as good as him, but i cant improvise worth a dog end, i can boogie out a little catchy fingerflicker in some dead space or inbetween notes pretty well though. you could say im a beginner, ive only been playing for 8 months, but im progressing like all get out

i still cant figure out how he does it, is it just him or...

and im wondering if he practices these solos backstage and its just the way its presented or if he really kicks out the jams on the spot

for futher clarification, listen to any tommy era live performances of the who, (live at leeds, or watch the isle of wight festival)
  2. Entwistle was one of the earliest pioneers of the "swashbuckling" style of rock bassing and influenced many many players. RIP.

Give it time - keep playing along with lines that move you and keep exploring and analyzing your own performances. With perseverence, you'll be ad-libbing like a pro :smug:
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You can tell the "solos" fills or whatever you want to call them are not rehearsed, as they constantly changed. He was just THAT good at what he did, he knew excatly what to do and when it seemed. That's why he's considered, and IS so great with the instrument. You're now seeing the light. I'm honestly not sure anyone could replicate him, no matter how hard they try.

RIP J.A.E., we still miss you

4. WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    John amazes me everytime I listen to the who. I could listen to My Generation million times and still be amazed everytime I hear the solo.
  5. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    His instructional video shows a unique insight into the style and sound. Worth getting if you're a big fan of Entwistle
  6. Tis true! Listen to "The Real Me". That proves your point.