Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does he do that?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Keiji***, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Keiji***

Keiji***

Jun 9, 2005
    I've been figuring out "cry baby cry" from The Beatles by ear (as I always do) and was wondering if anyone had any good sugestion on how to replicate the sound/notes that Paul is playing during the first verse. To me it sounds like he is sliding between the 11th fret to the 12th fret on the G string but I can't make out whether he is sliding up, down, or bending the string.... I just can't seem to replicate the attack/decay of the notes he plays... It's the last part I need to figure out how to play. Any help would be appreciated.

Keiji

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

To me, it's a back-and-forth slide between an E and a G. On the G string it's between frets 9 and 12, but unless you have good old flatwounds on your bass, I'd suggest you to do it on the D string, frets 14 and 17. The way to execute it is: Play the E note, quickly slide up to the G and then slide back to the E. Only after this last movement you should pluck the string again and then repeat the whole operation as needed. Click here to hear my version. I've just recorded it on my Bongo with rolled off treble and using the D string.

Hope this helps.

3. Keiji***

Keiji***

Jun 9, 2005
    thanks! I will be sure to try it tonight. The rest of the song i had no problems with, but for some reason I always have issues figuring out those little riffs that Paul plays every once in a while.
    Anyways, thanks again.
    Keiji