Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How DOES he get that sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, May 11, 2001.

1. Just wondering what bass Flea uses on Aeroplane. Also, what, if any effects or processors does he use?

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Bass = Alembic Epic
    Effects = None (Maybe a compressor)

3. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    I heard it was Voodoo. In fact, most of is stuff is Voodoo.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure it is just good old vibrato.

5. Somebody, dunno who, said he used a StingRay5 on that track!?

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Dunno if it's a 5, but it's a Musicman alright. It's the only track on One Hot Minute that isn't recorded with the Alembic (I think).

Anyone who can't tell a difference between an Alembic and a StingRay needs to get his hearing checked. ;)

But what do I know, really, maybe it's my hearing that needs to be checked.

7. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    It is the Stingray5 (for some reason Flea records with a 5, but rarely playes it live.) Go to bassplayer.com and read the interview. The rest of the album is alembic, but that song is stingray all the way. No wonder it has the best bass sound of them all...

8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I think you'd find, though, that Flea is one of those cats who's going to get his tone regardless of what bass he used. Lots of people (including myself) think his tone on "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" is the holy grail of funk bass tone, but I imagine that Brendan O'Brien and Rick Rubin take as much credit for that as Flea.

9. Yeah, it can't be an Alembic Epic b/c I have one and no matter what i do with the controls on the bass and my amp I can't get that growly mid sound that he has. I know they say it's all in the fingers but that bass that he plays has a very distinctive sound.

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Sorry, It is the Stingray.
    I didnt remember which shong was the only one recorded with that one.

11. He played a StingRay in the video. That's about all I know.

12. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Belair,

Unfortunately, the Epic series does not include one key feature that develops the distinct Alembic sound. The Low Pass Filter. However, as I've recommended to you before, the inclusion of the Alembic SF-2 superfilter to your amp system will in essence, give you the flexibility of Series II electronics to your bass tone. This component is one of best tone shaping tools out there.

If you want growl, it'll give you growl.

Bones

13. thanks. I'll have to seriously consider saving up to add that Filter to my setup.