Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does he get that sound

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by nigeinblack, Jan 23, 2003.

1. nigeinblack

nigeinblack Guest

Jan 4, 2003
    Sorry to be vauge but I've just heard a great jazz track on the radio and the DB player (sorry didn't get a name) had a sound to die for it was almost like he was gettin a metallic like "clicking" noise before each note, almost like the slight fret buzz sound you sometimes get you on a Musicman electric. Any ideas ?? Cheers

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Seriously, we'd need more information to be able to help. From the description, it could have been anything from a slap player with a mic to a regular pizz player with a Fishman and a bad soundman.

3. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    could be those labella round rounds. I don't know

4. Do you mean Double Bass as in the big wooden basses? Getting that cleared up would help me alot in answering this question.

He might have been slapping. but I really have no clue what your talking about so.....

Edit: OOps sorry about this post I thought I was in The Electric Bass section but then I took a look at the other topics and yea.... Sorry.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

No problem. I felt the same way the last time I asked a soundpost question about an Ibanez up in BG. **** happens. :)

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yes, he got this tone using a "Bass"....

Sorry, just thought i would answer the most vauge question in the world with the vaugest answer in the world;)

7. nigeinblack

nigeinblack Guest

Jan 4, 2003
    Thanks Pollybass for your constructive advice to a new doublebass player trying his best. Maybe its a farmerville thing.

8. Nige:

I think that among bassists of the upright variety, you'll find that "sound" is much less an equipment thing than it is a personal approach to the instrument. There is no one brand of instrument or strings or amplifier that will give you the "Ron Carter sound" or the "Dave Holland sound" or the "Ed Fuqua sound."

That said, probably what you were hearing was a bassist running directly into the recording console from his electronic pickup, rather than through a microphone. This can create the trebly sound that you describe. Some guys like this kind of sound, choosing it as their personal sound, or as DURRL mentioned, he was at the mercy of an unsympathetic sound engineer.

9. Most DB players try to get away from that metallic "click", and strive for a natural sound. I've heard some recordings of Avery Sharpe playing with McCoy Tyner, and his tone was horrible! Very metallic sounding with lots of clicks. Other than that, we need more info.

10. atunbridge

atunbridge

Apr 23, 2002
    Devon UK
    Nige

I think what you may mean is the effect of plucking the string with the right hand fractionally before holding down the string with the left hand - a sort of hammering on effect that is often used in walking bass lines to enhance the swing feel. You can get this effect with electric bass too.

Listen to Ron Carter playing on the Joe Henderson recording of Invitation to hear this effect.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    It's called a joke, and if you get offended by that, you should stay away from talkbass.

Just calm down a little. Your question was very vauge, and almost silly. i was pointing out the fact that it was. Joke. Get over it. thats all i have to say.

12. Here's the echo (amazing what the search funtion will return...)

;)

- Wil

13. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I saw Avery Sharpe with McCoy Tyner at Jazz Alley in Seattle while on tour with my college big band (where I play EB not DB) and I'll tell you what, I was not impressed by any means. He literally tries to play DB like Marcus Miller plays EB, using his thumb and 'plucking' the G string. He does two hand tapping and stuff too. Seriously. The only thing he didn't do was throw the thing over his shoulder and have it swing back around in front of him (ala Yngwie Malmsteen/Vic Wooten).

The crowd went wild, my band went wild and afterwards they were like "Dave, could you believe that bass player?!?!? Wasn't he amazing?" and I just told them I didn't dig it at all. I thought it was the most tasteless wanking I'd seen in a long time - not musical by any stretch of the imagnation.

i guess he put on a good show though, and he makes more $$$ than me . . .

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm with the last poster - this sounds horrible to me and something I would be striving to avoid. :eek:

Why not just play an MM?

15. Since only you heard the recording, it seems most of us are speculating from our own related listening and playing experiences. I sometimes get a clicking sound by accident when plucking with a stronger attack on certain notes. I think this comes from my finger hitting the top of the string just before I pluck the string properly by pulling the string. I can do this technique intentionally, which gives a strong, metallic emphasis to all notes played that may be used occasionally, if you want that effect. The real job is learning to play with a consistently beautiful, plucked natural accoustic bass sound, such as Ray Brown, Ray Drummond, George Mraz, Paul Chambers, and so many of the great players do.

16. Is that what Delfeayo Marsalis refers to as "dreaded bass direct" that he avoids on all albums he produces by using a microphone in front of the double bass, rather than recording the bass directly from the bass player's amplifer into the recording console?