Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does looping pedals work?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by semborg, Jun 13, 2005.

1. I do not understand this.
    How can the pedal know when to loop?

Is this a delay pedal?

I want one.

:( :bawl:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    which particular pedal are you talking about?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You tell it when to start and stop recording, that's how

4. yep, the idea is quite simple, you hit a button to start recording, then you play what you want, and you then hit another button to tell it to stop and play that piece again...and again...and again, until you hit the stop button.

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    so how do you do if you want to add another loop channel and want them to be in syncro???

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It depends on the device. For example, I've got a Line6 DL-4. It starts recording when I tap the record switch and closes the loop when I tap it again or tap 'play'. From that point, I can record as many overdubs as I like but the length of the loop is fixed and there's no undo button - keeping it in sync is down to my skills as a player!

Wulf

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    does the new BOSS (dont remember the model) work like that also?

i haave a kork AX1B which has a simple hold function, but is very basic and it seems that when adding for info in the memory it tends to lower general quality.

does the line 6 and the BOSS record each phrase in a diferent "bank" so you coul add another line without messing up the total result?

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you want to record line a, then line b, and play that back the boss will do that.
    If you want to record line a, then line b, and then vary between combinations of a only, b only or a&b then the boomerang does that

please go to http://www.loopersdelight.com, lots of useful information there

9. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    so say i want the BOSS, cause i dont need the extra feauturem and its smaller, has undo and is cheaper. hoe many lines i can record? and/or how much time i have'?

10. Any suggestion which one to get?
    I want a simple one. Not to expensive.
    And maybe a total of 2 minutes of loop or something.

11. i suggest a used boss rc-20 loop station...they are oretty easy to use and also inexpensive.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    iirc, the boss rc-20xl has 11 loops and upto 16 mins of time

Why not check the boss web site for full product details rather than relying on my sometimes flaky memory? ;)

13. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I was watching Michael Manring on the Bass Day '98 video (DVD). He was seemed to group loops. He had a drum loop that never stopped (he did the drum effects on his bass). Then he played some chords in a grouping. Then he played the lead line over that. Then cut out the chords but kept the drum group going and played something else.

Which effect does this type of looping? Does the Boss do this, or is the boomerang needed for this?

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    not the boss, you can't layer the lines like you can on the boomerang.

if you go to loopersdelight.com you'll see plenty of good information on the various pedals out there

15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I went to loopers delight late last night. I noticed the Gibson Echoplex Delux Plus (I think that was the name). Man does that thing look cool. I was wondering how much better that is than the Boomerang.

I'm going to look into both more on line when I have the time this weekend.

16. I am thinking of buing this boss loop station.
    What I wounder is if it is easy to record more than 1 layer and loop them together with just your foot.
    Is this possible?

17. also saw the Michael Manring thing and I am so impressed..
    so, the boomerang phrase sampler can do this or what? (i mean, cut out several things of the whole recording)

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    please see my previous post two above your own

19. Still don't get it. :(

Just tell me if it is possible to first record one loop with your foot, then add another, and another...? :rollno:

20. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    What are the roll eyes for?

read post #8 of this thread:
    I'm not sure how that can be explained any simpler.
    Can you keep layering tracks on the Boss? Yes.
    Can you take individual 'layers' in / out of the sound? No, only on the boomeraneg