Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does Mike Tobias finish his basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Sep 7, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I am just curious...I have never seen this type of matte finish before on a bass...how does Mike finish his MTD's? I have heard he uses some sort of paste wax but I am not sure...

What is the best way to take care of the wood?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Peter,

I let Mike know you asked. It might have been better to post this question in the Luthier's Forum.

The finish is like a rock. I have banged my bass a few times and there is not a scratch.

Listened to your tune - sounds pretty cool. The layers and effects work nicely. Just a quick question, how do you define the term "solo bass". Are you using it to mean the bass is the main solo instrument. If so the term leader or soloist is probably more appropriate (no matter what Bass Player and the other Magazines might say). The term solo should really be reserved for the cats who are doing JUST THAT. Cats like Steve Lawson, Michael Manring, Max Valentino, et al.

Good luck with the disk.

Mike

3. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Thanks Mike!

4. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I think Mike told me that it is a combination of stain and a 2 part urethane used on the rocker panels of Jeeps. It's very cool to have that natural feel yet have a tough protective coat on it. He also told me to use Butcher's wax on it. I think it's the stuff they use on bowling alley floors. Do an internet search and you should be able to find it. I haven't bought any yet. Just hfad my bass a couple of months.

5. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I like the shinny look, so I used the Ken Smith wax on it!! Nice and shinny.

6. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas

Thanks for the advice. You may have just saved me some money trying out that wax! I have learned an awful lot lurking around here. So thanks to all!!

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    According to Mike's email to me, specifically on my bass...

"The finish is a gunstock finish that is made of 1) 3 coats of epoxy, 2) 10 coats of oil, sprayed on, and 3) 3-4 coats of urethane."

I don't know the details on the oil and urethane, you'd have to ask him direct at his website.

He also advised me to use Butchers wax, which was not easy to find in Hawaii. I polished my bass with the Butchers wax maybe twice in 3 years. The Tobias finish is pretty durable. see the pic.

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just used the Warwick wax. I had a tough time finding it until I went to a GC and they just handed me a can out of one of the Warick Rok Bag gig bags. They were feeling generous that day.

JUST DON'T PUT ANY ON THE NECK! D'oh!!