Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does Modulus make their graphite necks look so stunning?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FireBug, Dec 26, 2005.

1. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    How do they do it? Before Mars Music went out of business I had the liberty of trying out a Flea bass ($1500 at the time) and just the sparkling pattern on the neck was amazing. Other graphite necks like Moses look kind of dull to me, but Modulus necks always grab my attention.

Any ideas as to how they come up with that pattern in the necks?

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    That random pattern you see when you look at a Modulus neck is the outer layer only, made to appear the way it does just because looks bitchin. If you peeled off the first layer, the rest of the neck material looks just like regular carbon fiber - the typical woven pattern.

Modulus has a trademark for the look of their necks; they refer to the pattern of the decorative layer as "a thousand ladies dancing", or KLD for short.

Dunno how they do it, though.

3. I've heard that it's hand-layered chunks. I don't know what to tell ya other than that.

4. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I wish Flea basses were still $1500. That $600 mark-up since Mars went out of business is utter bull****.

5. They were never 1500 new. They were 2700 and then jumped up to like 3100.

they can still be found on ebay for well under 1500. I just picked up a mint flea 5 for about a grand.

6. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I think we can all agree that it's magic that does it.

and flea basses are the best out there.

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Definitely find them cheaper than $1500, I bought one here on TB for $900 with a hardshell case.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    They are nice, but let's not forget about the Quantum basses. ;)

9. M.D.S.

M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    Scotland
    :eek:

Hell, at that price I could probably get a cheap return plane ticket to america, buy the bass and still pay less than a new one...

10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    there are two ways that I know of to make something out of carbon fiber. One is to "lay it up" and the other is to mold it.

Car manufacturers mold it and I BELIEVE Status has done some molding on bodies. OT: man those Status all graphites are wonderful instruments.

Anyway: Laying up is just that.....building it in layers. Carbon fiber comes in sheets. You can order it many different ways: how high the modulus is (ratio of carbon vs. other materials such as fiber glass) and you can also order it by pattern: diamond pattern, straight (looks like the grain on spruce), woven and on and on. I would suspect that the Modulus look is something the order from their vendor and like somebody mentioned here, it is the last layer to go on.

11. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

oh man.. i got my modulus flea4 from Mars Music for 1500$ ..lane poor pup and everything.. i went to the one in The Block mall in CA. i went back the next year.. and the place was gone.. too bad mars music went out of business.

12. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

i can back up it up. i bought my Modulus Flea 4st with Lane poor pup and bart preamp for 1499$ came with hardcase and everything... its was made in 1999.

so yes... they were going for 1500$ new.

13. somehow i mnaged to get this in completely the wrong thread but ive just ordered my first modulus with the lovely chaps at planet-bass.

Just a few weeks to wait for it to arrive in eesti, i honestly cant get enough of that layered neck

[​IMG]

Im so terrified that something will happen en route and ill never see her :bawl:

14. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, and on top of all that, for $900 it also came with a Lane Poor pup :D

15. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Beautiful! Congrats on a great bass. I sort of miss my Q6.

16. really?
    thanks so much my man! That means alot after spending nearly 2grand! What do you miss about yours?

17. M.D.S.

M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    Scotland
    Stunning...

What was the shipping cost like for importing it to the UK?

18. It would have been alot thankfully my old man is still a diplomat, so i had it shipped to the embassy then ill pick it up next time im in the vicinity of london. VAT and import duty adds up to about 30% of the price so its really not worth importing unless you can find a dealer who will send it as a 'gift'....machiavellian stuff.

19. Yes ...a 1999...remind me what year it is now...

20. They layer it. They make a mold, fill that, and that makes the neck. Then they take slives of carbon fiber and layer it on too of the mold. They call it Thousand Ladies Dancing. (KLD for short; K(1,000) Ladies Dancing.)