1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How does music education work where you live?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GuilhermeBMotta, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GuilhermeBMotta

GuilhermeBMotta

Jan 2, 2017
    So, I've been here in the forums for not so long, so I thought I would ask, since most here seen to be american. I live in Brazil and I'm currently studying music at what you could call a conservatory, I guess, and also college, both bass. Here things are divided in Classical and Popular music. In popular music things are very focused on Jazz and brazilian music (mostly samba and bossa nova), in both places I study, but really I think it's very outdated and conservative sometimes, and also very poor. But interesting.
    Translating some of the terms to english is really hard, so keep that in mind please. At the college you can study bachelor in instrument and voice (both popular and classical), composition or conducting. You can also study what we call "licenciatura", which is for teaching.
    I'm very curious how things work outside here, not just about music. I don't really understand some concepts, like "major/minor's degree", I wanted for some of you guys to shed light on the subject a little bit. It seems that you can go to college/university and...not study something in specific? You get to choose that after a while? We don't really have that here...We have one University that started doing something like that, but it's the first.
    It seems that some Music courses allow for more than just studying jazz, or one style of music. How does it work? Do you get to choose what kind of subjects you want to learn? Can you choose either composition or instrument, or can you even do both? I see many people mention "jazz studies" and terms like that, so it really seems like things are different over there.
    Anyway. Sorry for my bad english, I haven't practiced in 2 years, I hope the forum can help me getting used to it again. Feel free to share how things work in your country and/or area, wherever you live too.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017