How does one get control of an out-of-control beard?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, May 22, 2022.

Tags:
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This is the first time I've grown a longer beard. Parts of it take well to a good brushing after washing. But some of the hair is completely out of control. It just Curls and sticks out making me look a bit homeless and crazy.

I've tried a few oils and creams....several kinds of combs and brushes. I've even tried one of those hot straighteners. But nothing works. I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and just trimming the dang thing.

Any tips?

Edit to add: Any tips OTHER than shaving it completely off?
    :D

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    Winslow, CallMeAl and Hummergeist like this.
  2. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Full nuclear, clean shave. Problem solved

two fingers and Swipter like this.
  3. Swipter

Swipter

Sep 7, 2009
    Phoenix
    I have a closet full of double edge razor blades and a bunch of wicked sharp Gem single edge blades so I don't get on this unfortunate situation.

Of course I have razors to go with these.

4. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    [​IMG]

Hummergeist likes this.
  5. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    Me this winter. Had a short beard for the last 35 years or so. I had the same problems when I grew it out. Didn’t want to use beard wax. F05851B3-0383-48D9-853D-BF90AC5BC1EF.jpeg
    Got to be too much work. Started getting in the way and too warm. So…

0C423619-1029-4C31-B4B7-AE127F04EFB8.jpeg

Hummergeist likes this.
  6. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    No longer than a 7 day shadow during the summer months for me.
    dP front.jpg

JRA, bobba66, badinage and 2 others like this.
  7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I shoulda known I had to he more specific.

Lowandfat likes this.
  8. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I went way big in my early 30s, and it mostly behaved, though individual hairs started tying themselves in knots (literally, tiny granny knots—how?!). I backed it off eventually, but have generally kept it longer than most seem to. As the gray has steadily crept in over the past decade with its erratic texture and growth rates, it just never looks quite as neat, even though I go after it with the scissors here and there every day and the electric trimmer at least seasonally. If you’ve got the combination of curls and salt-and-pepper going on like I do, I don’t think there’s a whole lot you can do other than preen regularly or go short.

two fingers likes this.
  9. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I suppose you could dye it green—tends to draw attention from any eccentricity in the growth.
    68872761_10218630633590427_8135866736751673344_n.jpg
    3AE0CED4-AF82-450B-A262-E9C8A12AEE8A.jpeg

JRA, bobba66, Supadope and 2 others like this.
  10. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    If memory serves, you’ve got about a decade on me—how are your eyebrows? My right one has wanted to go full wizard for years, but the left one ain’t having it so far :laugh:

two fingers likes this.
  11. [​IMG]

Riff Ranger likes this.
  12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Each one has exactly one rogue hair. I have to trim them about once a week.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  13. Yeah I got the WoW "night elf" rogue single eyebrow hair also, which is extra weird, cause I'm otherwise almost eyebrowless.

Chuck Norris beard so strong, he fall down it keep running.

I just go with #1 buzz about once a month, cause I hate shaving, but its too crazy past that

two fingers and Riff Ranger like this.
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I keep a beard because I despise daily shaving. I tried to keep it neat by getting good at daily trimming to tame the hairs refusing to cooperate, but it was not much different than a daily shave. My current compromise is having the nice lady who cuts my hair also trim my beard back real hard, then random plucking of wild hairs between visits. It behaves pretty well until it hits a couple inches, but after that it just gets worse as it gets longer.
    If you are talking Duck Dynasty style, all I can offer is embrace the suck. The only thing that ever worked for me there was braiding.

Riff Ranger and two fingers like this.
  15. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Computer Music magazine.
    Just growing mine long again for the first time in years. It got so frizzy, like I had an electric shock! So I'm now shampooing it every morning, and putting in beard oil twice a day. Taking the time to do this little bit of maintenance has made a big difference in how it looks and feels.

two fingers likes this.
  16. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm doing shampoo (even used Mrs.Fingers' conditioning shampoo on it) and have used the oil. I'll try doing the oil more than once per day and see if that helps.

We have a pool and use it almost daily. I'm guessing chlorine doesn't help all that much either. It doesn't do wonders for my (also long) hair either.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Riff Ranger and Hummergeist like this.
  17. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Computer Music magazine.
    I'm using the oil twice a day. Also it seems to take a couple of days of this routine before it starts to work, and if I skip a day, it's Fuzz City all over again! You're probably right about the chlorine, as well.

two fingers likes this.
  18. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants
    Have you tried threatening it with violence?
    Also, try conditioner

Riff Ranger likes this.
  19. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes. It responded by smacking me on my left eye. I didn't even realize it was long enough to reach my eyeball until that moment. This is why I am reaching out to you guys. I have to type to get advice. It can hear, but can't read. Although, I think it is getting suspicious that I am discussing it with others.....

20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

alright, @two fingers, how about some current pics of this "out-of-control beard?" :hyper:

Riff Ranger likes this.