Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does one get endorsed and by who?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rojo412, Apr 21, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'm sure this has been posted before, but I figured I have a few questions more.I have met some endorsed players. Some had full, some had partial endorsements. I have asked them and most said luck, so that's out (for now).

What should a band have in order to start the process of seeking endorsement from any company?
    Once you have said materials, how should you approach the company?
    What companies are more likely to talk? What companies are IMPOSSIBLE?
    Is there a negotiating process with partial endorsements?

I'll tell you what I have heard and maybe it could be confirmed or denied... I heard Ernie Ball, Ibanez and Washburn are fairly easy to convince. I've heard that string companies are also easier to convince. That's it really.
    The Warwick endorsed guy I met gets everything at 25% of list (like a SS I 6 for $1000). I played with guys who had Washburn long ago (and needless to say, don't even have the FREE guitars that were given to them anymore).

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    go up to them and say "give me free stuff":rolleyes:

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Out of curiosity, do you REALLY believe in the products, or do you just want free stuff?

4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I really believe that if other bands are out there playing some crappy music on some free gear, I should be able to do the same. As a working musician who has another low-paying job to get the bills paid, I believe that if there is any chance of getting a company to pay for anything, I should be entitled to what they offer.

And yes, there is a slew of companies that I believe in enough to represent their product in as many ways as possible.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I asked for a reason. If it's just for free stuff, bombard EVERY company with your CD and press kit. Sooner or later, someone will bite. I got my deals, by forming a friendship with the Artist Relations guy at the companies that I liked. Plus, I was already using their stuff. Believe it or not, they all asked me! It helps to get your manager involved, it'll look more professional. If you truly believe in the product, ask yourself this: "If I asked for a deal, and they said 'No.', would I still use their product?" The answer for me was "Yes!", but everyone is different.

6. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I know Seymour Duncan offers a artist sponsorship program, you sign up on their site, and it gives you a bunch of stuff that you must supply to get that.
    peace
    Ben

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Ed: Are you alright? You called me "Woodchuck" instead of "Woodchips"! :D

8. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    All good points.

I started this thread because a jerk I know who is a guitarist is playing bass in some band and he likes to blow a lot of smoke all over the place. He said he got endorsed by GK (and as he quoted, the biggest endorsement since Flea). I despise this guy, he is a terrible bassist, and yet, companies are handing him gear.

It's not to say that I wouldn't enjoy getting free stuff. It's not my intent though. I'd love to be sponsored (at least partially), by GK, Modulus, Warwick, SWR, Ken Smith, as well as a slew of others. But since they are pretty well represented, I doubted any chance I'd have with them. That's why I'd want to see what else would be possible.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I knew a skater who was really good, and he just happened to be in the right place(skate parks) at the right time(when company scouts were prowling)

the result, he got sponsered by like 5 different companies, So he had a free wardrobe, he got socks, shoes,pants,shirts, and hats from all these companies, just so long as he would skate at parks and stuff wearing them, and whenever he was featured in magazines he would give them props.

he was 15 at this time.(REALLY good skater)

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I know this is semantics but...you don't "get endorsed" by a company, but rather you endorse a company in exchange for some form of compensation, most often gear at or below dealer cost, free gear in some cases, or in very rare instances are paid to endorse a product.

In most cases, you need to be signed to a major label (or at least a major indie label) and have a tour planned to even hope for a deal. The company needs to be convinced that you are not only visible enough but influential enough as a player to affect the bass-buying public's choices.

rojo, you know someone who has an endorsement agreement where he gets 25% off of list price? Are you sure that's not 25% off of dealer cost? Everybody gets at least 25% off of list price.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    A lot of it is luck. Levi's and Keapa gives us free stuff. And Craig is absolutely right. YOU endorse them.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    a Ken Smith endorsement...that's funny...

Playing their stuff without asking for it for free is the best endorsement.

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I never get tired of hearing that :D

14. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I know how good Ken Smiths are, I cited the name for the strings (I was just thinking of stuff I use and that happened to be fresh in the old noggin). I'm guessing unless you are really really good or really really famous, luthiers won't give you any sort of break, so I assume Ken Smith, Sadowsky, Fodera, etc. are not going to do anything more for me than they would some other dude... which is fine by me.

Yeah, I know, you endorse their product. I assume people say the "Get endorsed" as a short term for getting an "endorsement deal" or "contract."

The dude I met gets Warwicks for 25% of list:
    List = $4000
    He pays .25 x 4000 = $1000.
    Use the Streamer Stage I 6 string as an example (list is $4000). He gets a brand new, factory fresh one for $1000. Are we clear on this?
    His luck came when he was spotted in some gospel thing by Warwick and they offered him a deal.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I feel kinda ripped off sometimes by the whole "I wanna play what _______ is playing mentality." Lets say that I became a big famous bassist, all the kids loved me and wanted to be me. Lets say I did this unsponsered. It was my hard earned money that bought me my bass and amp... with their logos plastered all over them. So with a quick peak of me on stage someone could tell what my gear was. Basicially what I'm getting at is after paying X amount of money for a bass/amp you are advertising it everytime you gig, wheter you want to or not.

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Booyah.

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    When you say "They all", could you go into detail, what kind of companies we're talking about? I don't expect you to mention any names unless you feel comfortable doing so.

Also, what if you don't have a manager?

These words are as good as mine. I am a little amazed.

18. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I aim to please.

19. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I only mention he's a jerk because he carries himself in such a manner that 99% of what he says sounds like total B.S.
    Also, I want to describe him in such a way. It conveys the jealousy that he's got a contract (or making me believe he does), as well as his general attitude.

I realize that many jerks get contracts. I'd venture to say almost a majority of endorsement contracts out there are held by people who others may consider to be "jerkish."

20. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    With all due respect rojo, I think a priority check is in order here.

What value to you as a musician is an endorsement deal? There are lots of cats who cannot play at all that have endorsement deals (think Fieldy), and lots of excellent players who don't have endorsement deals. Which would you rather be?

There will come a day, and it'll be sooner rather than later, that the popularity of Limp Bizkit will wane and Fieldy's endorsement deal with Ibanez will be dropped...and he'll still be a very mediocre heavy metal bassist incapable of playing in any other style, will never ever acheive the level of notoriety he has previously attained, in fact will be completely forgotten, and all this waaaay before his 30th birthday. But on the bright side there'll be lots of Ibanez Fieldy signature basses selling on ebay for $250.